Alela Diane – To Be Still

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Alela Diane – To Be Still

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 99)
  • Autor

klienicum

Rough Trade Records is pleased to announce the forthcoming release from Alela Diane. Her new album, To Be Still, will be in-stores on February 17, 2009.

To Be Still is the follow-up to Alela Diane’s critically-acclaimed 2006 debut The Pirate’s Gospel. That record brought the Nevada city, CA-reared musician a dedicated following across the globe (especially in Europe, where she recently finished a tour of mid-sized concert halls). Considering that early copies of The Pirate’s Gospel were given away to friends in hand-sewn covers just a few years ago, this is not only quite a leap, but a well-deserved one.

To Be Still was created throughout 2007 & 2008. „It began in Portland, OR and was finished in scatters between tours at my dad’s home studio in Nevada City, CA,“ Alela says. „I wanted to record this collection of songs using arrangements which represent them in their finest form. These songs requested more instrumental filigree than those on The Pirate’s Gospel. It was challenging to delicately yet purposefully incorporate instrumentation into songs that I was so used to singing by myself. I was determined to make it work, because I wanted percussion! I wanted to hear the lonesome bow of the violin! I heard many harmonies in my head, and so I set out to capture them.“

In the past, Alela’s work has been associated with one or more musical movements, notably the alleged „freak-folk“ genre of the early to middle Oughts. And while no music exists in a complete vacuum, the wholly original music on To Be Still was borne of contemplation and isolation. „Most were written in the cabin in Nevada City, and during my stint of domesticity in the Victorian flat further North; others were captured elsewhere, in moments of calm,“ she says. The album shows Alela Diane to be a compelling and unique voice.

Geoff Travis, founder of Rough Trade Records, says „Alela Diane is a real American Songwriter. Both flinty and beautiful. She draws from a tradition that might include Sandy Denny and Karen Dalton and she suffers not a jot in comparison. Rough Trade is proud to be able to bring you this release.“

quelle: http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/news/Rough-Trade-Records-Signs-Alela-Diane-And-Sets-Release-Date!/

4351225901175.jpg

den titelgebenden song gab alela diane bereits bei den letzten konzerten zum besten. er fügte sich anstandslos in das bisher bekannte, hevorragende material ein. die erwartungen an „to be still“ sind enorm.
    „to be still“: daytrotter session 2007: http://www.daytrotter.com/article/739/free-songs-alela-diane

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #6873183  | PERMALINK

udw
    so little gets done

:liebe:

--

so little is fun
    #6873185  | PERMALINK

clau
    Coffee Bar Cat

:liebe: :liebe:

--

How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?
    #6873187  | PERMALINK

klienicum

eine neue (französische) musikpostille hebt die göttin aufs cover.

#6873189  | PERMALINK

krauspop
    Oo and Drums

ich sehe nix.. ?!?

trotzdem :liebe:

--

#6873191  | PERMALINK

hermit

Ich reihe mich mal ein:

:liebe::liebe::liebe:

--

#6873193  | PERMALINK

ursa-minor

klienicumhttp://i35.tinypic.com/29oqq6x.jpg

eine neue (französische) musikpostille hebt die göttin aufs cover.

Brr, das ist aber ein furchtbares Foto.

Nun, da ich die Stimme bei den Headless Heroes kennen gelernt habe, werde ich mich auch mal für ihre eigenen Sachen interessieren …

--

C'mon Granddad!
    #6873195  | PERMALINK

klienicum

#6873197  | PERMALINK

udw
    so little gets done

Jetzt, wo ich höre, was sie aus dem bereits bei Daytrotter schönen White As Diamonds gemacht hat, bin ich überzeugt: das wird ganz, ganz großartig!

--

so little is fun
    #6873199  | PERMALINK

udw
    so little gets done

…und diese Katie Cruel-Gedächtnisgeige… *seufz*

--

so little is fun
    #6873201  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

Wunderbar.

--

"i tell all my friends that i'm bound for heaven, and if it ain't so you can't blame me for living" Thank You, Jason!
    #6873203  | PERMALINK

klienicum

das cover?:

jawoll:

To Be Still was created throughout 2007 & 2008. „It began in Portland, OR and was finished in scatters between tours at my dad’s home studio in Nevada City, CA,“ Alela says. „I wanted to record this collection of songs using arrangements which would represent them in their finest form. These songs requested more instrumental filigree than those on The Pirate’s Gospel. It was challenging to delicately yet purposefully incorporate instrumentation into songs that I was so used to singing by myself. I was determined to make it work, because I wanted percussion! I wanted to hear the lonesome bow of the violin! I heard many harmonies in my head, and so I set out to capture them.“

quelle: http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/releases/to-be-still/

#6873205  | PERMALINK

klienicum

01. Dry Grass & Shadows 3:11
    02. White As Diamonds 3:36
    03. Age Old Blue 3:59
    04. To Be Still 5:26
    05. Take Us Back 4:43
    06. The Alder Trees 3:27
    07. My Brambles 4:58
    08. The Ocean 3:42
    09. Every Path 4:12
    10. Tatted Lace 4:47
    11. Lady Divine 5:12

Total Time: 00:47:13

#6873207  | PERMALINK

hat-and-beard
    dial 45-41-000

klienicum01. Dry Grass & Shadows 3:11
    02. White As Diamonds 3:36
    03. Age Old Blue 3:59
    04. To Be Still 5:26
    05. Take Us Back 4:43
    06. The Alder Trees 3:27
    07. My Brambles 4:58
    08. The Ocean 3:42
    09. Every Path 4:12
    10. Tatted Lace 4:47
    11. Lady Divine 5:12

Total Time: 00:47:13

Die Songs 1, 7, 10, 11 waren schon auf ihrer EP. Hoffentlich wurden sie wenigstens neu aufgenommen. Bin sehr gespannt.

--

God told me to do it.
    #6873209  | PERMALINK

gastrisches_greinen

Hat and beardDie Songs 1, 7, 10, 11 waren schon auf ihrer EP. Hoffentlich wurden sie wenigstens neu aufgenommen. Bin sehr gespannt.

Ich hatte Alela vor dem Konzert in Hamburg nach einer möglichen Wiederveröffentlichung der EP gefragt, was sie verneinte mit dem Hinweis darauf, daß viele der Songs, die darauf enthalten gewesen seien, sich in neuen Arrangements und neu eingespielt auf „To Be Still“ befinden würden. Also werden es definitiv andere Versionen sein.

Einen Mitschnitt von Alelas fulminantem Auftritt im Pariser Olympia am 12. November letzten Jahres kann man derzeit übrigens noch hier auf der Arte-Seite sehen. Da wir sie hierzulande ja bisher nur in kleiner Besetzung kennengelernt haben, kann man sie hier mal in größerem Aufgebot bestaunen. Ihr Vater Tom Menig, Matt Bauer, Alina Hardin, Mariee Sioux und Schlagzeuger Benjamin Oak Goodman begleiten sie und es gibt u.a. auch eine schicke Version von Matty Groves. Könnte einen guten Vorgeschmack auf das Album bieten, auch wenn leider die Violine fehlt.

Ein Konzertbericht zu dem ganzen Event findet sich auf diesem tollen Konzertblog.

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 99)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.