Sufjan Stevens

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 61 bis 75 (von insgesamt 186)
  • Autor

bullitt

Vega4“Seven swans“ ist ein Zwischenprojekt und hat mit 50 States nichts zu tun. Bei „Seven swans“ geht es um das Alte Testament.

Danke, hatte ich mir schon gedacht. Morgen bekomme ich sie beide. Freu mich drauf :)

Gab´s eigentlich auch eine Rezension im Rolling Stone?

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #1993079  | PERMALINK

vega4

Ja! So weit ich mich erinnere bekam Seven swans **** und Michigan ***1/2 oder wars ****1/2 zu ****? Egal! Wird dir sicher gut gefallen..

--

Der Teufel ist ein Optimist, wenn er glaubt, dass er die Menschen schlechter machen kann. "Fackel" - Karl Kraus
    #1993081  | PERMALINK

bullitt

Vega4Ja! So weit ich mich erinnere bekam Seven swans **** und Michigan ***1/2 oder wars ****1/2 zu ****? Egal! Wird dir sicher gut gefallen..

Würde die Rezensionen gerne mal lesen. Du weißt nicht zufällig ungefähr in welcher Ausgabe die waren? Wenn der Rest so ist wie die Songs die ich bereits kenne werden sie mir sicherlich gefallen. Dachte ja sie wären heute schon da aber Amazon hat wohl etwas getrödelt.

--

#1993083  | PERMALINK

dominick-birdsey
    Birdcore

Neues vom 50 Staaten Projekt:

When it comes to Sufjan Stevens‘ proposed 50 States project, incredulous smirks seem to be commonplace. Seriously, how could any one man release an album dedicated to each state in the union? That remains to be seen, but for now word is trickling in about Stevens‘ next 50 States record. Stevens‘ record label, Asthmatic Kitty, has announced that he will release an as yet untitled collection of songs about Illinois on July 5. The album isn’t quite finished, so a tracklist would be premature, but there will be one song entitled „Chicago“ and, in total, the record will feature 15 to 20 songs touching on such subjects as the Lincoln/Douglass debates, the Chicago Fire, the World’s Columbian Exposition, and Wrigley’s chewing gum. A few historical figures/characters that may end up being thrown into the blender of Stevens‘ imagination include poet Carl Sandburg, Black Hawk, Superman, and John Wayne Gacy. Described as Sufjan’s most ambitious record yet, the album implements more than 30 instruments and musicians, from the usual guitar and banjo to horns, string quartets, and a small choir. The album will feature several guests, such as James McAlister of Ester Drang, Shara Worden of AwRY and My Brightest Diamond, Craig Monturo of Volcano, I’m Still Excited!, and some production help from old cohort Daniel Smith of the Danielson Famile. However, the record was mostly self-produced in a Queens, N.Y. studio. Stevens will also more than likely continue his string of quality visual design by enlisting the assistance of Waking Life illustrator Divya Srinivasan.

As for the sound of the album, PR man Daniel Gill reports that, „One person I’ve talked to said, ‚It’s like the music at the Hall of Presidents at Disneyland, like really big and kind of patriotic sounding.‘ Sufjan really wanted to make it sound a little bit more polished and professional, but it’s definitely more in the vein of Michigan than anything else.“

Stevens will apparently mirror this folkish complexity by including two sets of tracklistings (which, again, we don’t have on hand): The first will be included on the back of the album, while the second will be listed on the inside and will contain track titles stretching as far as three sentences long.

After the Illinois album, Sufjan will hit the road with labelmate Liz Janes in late July. And Gill predicts the Illinois record will not be the sum of Steven’s recorded 2005 output, claiming that „by the end of this year“ there will „probably“ be another state album that will double as a christmas album. Seemingly relentless, Stevens is also bouncing around the idea of recording an EP for a smaller state. His PR went on to say they think the state records will continue to be produced for the indefinite future.

If all that artistic production wasn’t enough, Stevens‘ label Asthmatic Kitty has already had a fairly busy year. San Diego favorites Bunky just released their debut Born to Be a Motorcycle, while once and future Stevens‘ road warrior John Ringhofer has just released his third album under the Half-Handed Cloud moniker, entitled Thy Is a Word and Feet Need Lamps. These two outfits will be joined by labelmates the Castanets on March 20 at SXSW opening up for Ariel Pink and Daniel Johnston. Unorthodox Christians and wacky lo-fi workhorses all under one roof.

Quelle: Pitchfork

--

#1993085  | PERMALINK

dominick-birdsey
    Birdcore

„Illinois“-Details

Sufjan Stevens is going to be a very, very old man when he completes his ambitious „50 States“ project. He released the first entry in the series in 2003, Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State, and next comes Illinois, on July 5. At this pace, with 50 states and one state/album every two years…well, you do the math. I’m just glad he got to my home state of Illinois in my lifetime. Here’s the epic track list:

01 Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL
    02 The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You’re Going to Have to Leave Now, or, „I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them until they are off our lands!“
    03 Come on! Feel the Illinoise!
    -Part I: The World’s Columbian Exposition
    -Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream
    04 John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
    05 Jacksonville
    06 A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons
    07 Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!
    08 One Last „Woo-hoo!“ for the Pullman
    09 Chicago
    10 Casimir Pulaski Day
    11 To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and it involves shoe string, a lavender garland, and twelve strong women
    12 The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
    13 Prairie Fire That Wanders About
    14 A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
    15 The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
    16 They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!
    17 Let’s Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don’t Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
    18 In This Temple, as in the Hearts of Man, for Whom He Saved the Earth
    19 The Seer’s Tower
    20 The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
    -Part I: The Great Frontier
    -Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
    21 Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
    22 Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run

The album will be available in both CD and vinyl formats. The vinyl will be a 2xLP set with a triple gatefold sleeve and an additional track, „The Avalanche“. The CD will have a running time of 74 minutes and the LP will be 80 minutes. Epic indeed.

Quelle: Pitchfork

--

#1993087  | PERMALINK

prodigal-son

The vinyl will be a 2xLP set with a triple gatefold sleeve and an additional track, „The Avalanche“.

Na wenn das keine tollen Nachrichten sind. Sehr fein.

--

If you try acting sad, you'll only make me glad.  
    #1993089  | PERMALINK

visa

So, ich habe die Illinois jetzt seit zwei tagen und muss sagen, dass ich dieses jahr noch kein album gehört habe, das mich so überweltigt hat.

highlights sind:

04. john wayne gacy jr
    07. decatur
    09. chicago
    10. casimir pulaski day
    16. zobies

was mir jetzt noch fehlt ist das album-cover. das macht ja bei sufjan immer noch eine menge aus.

--

#1993091  | PERMALINK

bullitt

Ist Enjoy Your Rabbit das neue Album von dem ich nichts mitbekommen habe?? Bei Amazon steht als VÖ Datum April 2005, stimmt das?

--

#1993093  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

BullittIst Enjoy Your Rabbit das neue Album von dem ich nichts mitbekommen habe?? Bei Amazon steht als VÖ Datum April 2005, stimmt das?

Das ist dann wohl ein Reissue. „Enjoy your Rabbit“ gibt es schon etwas länger. Das neue Album heißt „Illinois“.

--

#1993095  | PERMALINK

bullitt

wowee zoweeDas ist dann wohl ein Reissue. „Enjoy your Rabbit“ gibt es schon etwas länger. Das neue Album heißt „Illinois“.

Ist „Enjoy your Rabbit“ vor oder nach „Michigan“ und „Seven Swans“ erschienen? Ist sie ähnlich gut?

Über „Illinois“ bin ich inzwischen im Bilde und habe auch schon über den dazugehörigen Thread im Coming Up Forum reingehört… Chicago ist schon mal ganz groß :)

--

#1993097  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

BullittIst „Enjoy your Rabbit“ vor oder nach „Michigan“ und „Seven Swans“ erschienen? Ist sie ähnlich gut?

Ich stelle mal kurz eine Diskograpphie auf, um Klarheit zu schaffen. Denn durch die deutsche VÖ-Politik ist da einiges durcheinander geraten.

(2000) – A Sun Came
    (2001) – Enjoy your Rabbit
    (2003) – Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lake State
    (2004) – Seven Swans

(2005) – Illinois

„Enjoy you Rabbit“ ist in meinen Augen nicht zu empfehlen – ist ein reines Elektronik-Album, ohne irgendwelche erkennbare Melodiösität, noch kann ich mich auch nicht wirklich konzentrieren bei dieser kühlen Zerfahrenheit – dieses Album hat nichts mit den von Dir genannten zu tun. (**) Aber vielleicht habe ich noch keinen Zugang dazu gefunden.

--

#1993099  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

wowee zowee

„Enjoy you Rabbit“ ist in meinen Augen nicht zu empfehlen – ist ein reines Elektronik-Album, ohne irgendwelche erkennbare Melodiösität, noch kann ich mich auch nicht wirklich konzentrieren bei dieser kühlen Zerfahrenheit – dieses Album hat nichts mit den von Dir genannten zu tun. (**) Aber vielleicht habe ich noch keinen Zugang dazu gefunden.

Die müßte dann doch eigentlich etwas für NiteOwl sein. :)

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
    #1993101  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

beatlebumDie müßte dann doch eigentlich etwas für NiteOwl sein. :)

Nicht mal für ihn. Das ist richtig, richtig, vertrackte Elektronik. Nur Elektronik. Kein Banjo, kein Gesang, keine Gitarre, keine Chöre, etc.

--

#1993103  | PERMALINK

observer

Mir gehts mit „Enjoy you Rabbit“ genau so wie wowee, auch wenn ich gelegentlich sogar sehr gern „verfrickelte“ Elektronik höre. Die Idee, die chinesischen Sternzeichen zu vertonen, ist schon etwas seltsam. Und es klingt auch eigenartig und hat mit seinen sonstigen VÖ nicht sehr viel gemein.

--

Wake up! It`s t-shirt weather.
    #1993105  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

observer Die Idee, die chinesischen Sternzeichen zu vertonen, ist schon etwas seltsam. Und es klingt auch eigenartig und hat mit seinen sonstigen VÖ nicht sehr viel gemein.

Die Idee erscheint mir interessant, das Ergebnis kenne ich allerdings nicht.

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 61 bis 75 (von insgesamt 186)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.