Royal Headache – High (21.08.)

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Royal Headache – High (21.08.)

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 1 bis 8 (von insgesamt 8)
  • Autor

misch
    Here, There and Everywhere

RoyalHeadache.jpg

01 My Own Fantasy
    02 Need You
    03 High
    04 Another World
    05 Wouldn’t You Know
    06 Garbage
    07 Love Her If I Tried
    08 Carolina
    09 Little Star
    10 Electric Shock

For Royal Headache’s serrated and honeyed debut, the Sydney rock’n’roll classicists took a day-and-a-half to record all of the instruments. The vocals, courtesy of a fellow known simply as Shogun, took eight months. They still sounded urgent, rather than fussed over, and conveyed the generous vigor and warmth that moves listeners first to melt and then to grasp for one word: soul. Stateside, the imported R.I.P. Society edition of Royal Headache became a coveted item, motivating underground rock’s first-responders at What’s Your Rupture? to issue a domestic version in 2012. Shogun’s stubborn commitment to honing the most vivid vocal takes proved to be pretty savvy.

The title track from High, Royal Headache’s follow-up, retains that swagger and grace. A scrappy chord progression lumbers in time to the swinging backbeat and Shogun starts with a refrain that relishes the ambiguity between lovers and dealers: „Tried to call you on the phone/ ‚Cause you get me high.“ The saccharine melody and yearning lyrics cultivate a sense of exultation, but Shogun’s delivery is also trenchant. His vocals have attack; every line starts with a jab, followed by a massage, not unlike the Undertones’ singer Feargal Sharkey. Impressively, three years after Royal Headache, there’s no inkling of diminishing returns for this approach. The essential thrills remain. Pitchfork

Das Album hat einfach seinen eigenen Thread verdient – meine ganz große Hoffnung für 2015. Ich mochte schon das erste Album, allerdings war mir das im Endeffekt dann doch einfach zu „lo-fi“. Da konnte nicht mal die fantastische Stimme von Sänger Shogun etwas retten. Dem Eindruck der ersten Single nach korrigieren sie das hier aber – und so ist ‚High‘ schon mal (m)ein ganzer heißer Anwärter auf den Track des Jahres.

--

In an ocean of noise, I first heard your voice. Now who here among us still believes in choice? - Not I!
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #9588737  | PERMALINK

captain-kidd

Bin natürlich auch sehr gespannt. Der Vorab-Track ist aber leider etwas öde.

--

Do you believe in Rock n Roll?
    #9588739  | PERMALINK

misch

Zweiter Vorab-Track: Another World

Mir gefällt die Richtung in die sie sich bewegen.

--

In an ocean of noise, I first heard your voice. Now who here among us still believes in choice? - Not I!
    #9588741  | PERMALINK

captain-kidd

Stream bei NPR. Es fehlt ein wenig die Dringlichkeit und der Schmerz des Debüts. Mal weiterhören. Auf jeden Fall besser als Sleater-Kinney… :lol:

--

Do you believe in Rock n Roll?
    #9588743  | PERMALINK

misch

Danke für den Link. Jepp, sie haben ihre Garage gegen ein richtiges Studio getauscht und schalten einen Gang zurück. Klingt dann erwartungsgemäß erwachsener, glatter und weniger direkt – und damit haben sie sich genau in meine Komfortzone gespielt. Fazit: Klasse erste Hälfte, die zweite fällt nach zweimaligem Hören etwas ab, trotzdem, tolles Album. :-)

--

#9588745  | PERMALINK

misch

Schöne Zusammenfassung von Pitchfork:

As ever, it’s catchy and full of emotion. Royal Headache have taken steps forward since their last album—they’ve cleaned up their production and diversified their songwriting. Ultimately, though, the important bits are intact: the passion, the power, and the hooks that demand being shouted joyfully. 8/10

Mein Sommeralbum, hoffentlich kommt die LP bald an.

--

#9588747  | PERMALINK

vincent

Ist mir leider bis jetzt zu wenig abwechslungsreich, zudem klangen sie vor einn paar Jahren etwas frischer.

--

#9588749  | PERMALINK

misch

--

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 1 bis 8 (von insgesamt 8)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.