EVANS THE DEATH – Expect Delays

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten EVANS THE DEATH – Expect Delays

Ansicht von 6 Beiträgen - 1 bis 6 (von insgesamt 6)
  • Autor

ragged-glory

Intrinsic Grey
    Terrified
    Sledgehammer
    Idiot Button
    Bad Year
    Just 60,000 More Days ‚Til I Die

Expect Delays
    Enabler
    Waste Of Sunshine
    Shanty
    Clean Up
    Don’t Laugh At My Angry Face

drownedinsond.com wrote:
    Listening to Expect Delays is like playing with a naked Barbie doll with bubblegum in its hair and a half melted face. This is a confident, electrifying, weirdo-pop stormer of an album that deserves your attention. If there’s one thing we can take away from 45 minutes spent in Evans the Death’s company it’s that the world is gruelling and unfair place, which is a shame because if there was any justice (and apparently there isn’t) 2015 would be their year. Brilliant.

@musicomh.com]Of course it’s not flawless. Like their previous record, there are fillers to be found here, but they’re fewer in number – and they’re usually their slower, downbeat tracks that lose their way to the sprawling guitars that characterised much of their first record. But let’s not close on a down note. The delays were worth it Evans The Death have come of age and produced an album that sounds like them, only lots, lots better.[/QUOTE wrote:

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #9509979  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Gewaltiges Album! Der Sound ist sooo herzzerreißend kaputt und verbeult. Als ob die Pixies mit den frühen Smashing Pumpkins im Clinch liegen würden.

--

#9509981  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

diymag.comEvans The Death’s second album practically picks up where their self-titled debut left off – the latter’s melancholic closer, ‘You’re Joking’, serves as a neat predecessor to the first 30 seconds of ‘Expect Delays’’ opener, ‘Intrinsic Grey’.

After that first 30 seconds though, the guitars and drums kick in, and Katherine Whitaker’s vocals become less delicate and more of the angry yowling sort – in the best way. As she sings about never being enough, it’s hard to tell who she’s angrier at – society or herself.

Compared to their first release, the band seem to have sharpened up. Songs like ‘Terrified’, with its clever keyboard moments and funky bass, and the brash ‘Clean Up’ seem more polished, although they’re sure not any cheerier. ‘Idiot Button’, with the painfully realistic line, “I can’t explain the gaps in my employment history” will more than certainly connect with the hoards of unemployed grads who’ve had to move back in with mum and dad. It’s a wholly relatable album for anyone a bit miserable, really.

‘Expect Delays’ chugs along at a pleasant pace – ‘Bad Year’ is particularly cheerful, considering its title. If there’s a delay to be had, it’s probably the fact that it takes a few listens to warm to the album as a whole. No idea what the cover art of pastel watercolour bloodhounds has to do with anything, mind. The title track doesn’t really shed any light on it either, but its use of what sounds like TV samples alongside some excellent guitar riffs is a nice touch, as well as a sign that the band have tried to step it up on album no. 2.

The funereal dirge of excellently grungy lead single ‘Don’t Laugh At My Angry Face’ comes weirdly late on in the album, before things close a bit quietly again on ‘Don’t Beat Yourself Up’. Whether it’s advice to others or to her self, Whitaker ends things on a forgiving note – “Give yourself a chance.” While you’re at it, give this band one too.

--

#9509983  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

thelineofbestfit.comFor a subgenre that is so reverentially discussed as shoegaze, it’s no surprise that people have been anticipating a revival of sorts since the early 00’s. Truth is, though, it never really went away – those hazy, circular guitar lines that drone with no shortage of feedback have been a quietly persistent theme in rock and indie music ever since its pinnacle, but there seems to be a particularly large swell of bands with a predilection for MBV-inspirited reverb and distortion of late.

Through proving that not all C86-indebted acts of today are just jangle and fey posturing, Evans The Death have already been needlessly bracketed under said revival, though subtle sonic comparisons are aplenty: bass-heavy „Terrified“, for example, ebbs and flows like a classic shoegaze track. Katherine Whitaker’s voice is typically dulcet, but it’s nowhere near obscured or indistinct enough to warrant the full shoegaze ascription. Instead, it’s well-crafted, intelligent indie pop that best defines them.

With artistic maturation being an intrinsic part of any band’s progress, it should come as no shock that Expect Delays is overall more accomplished than its predecessor. Like the best second albums, Evans The Death have honed their sound rather than completely negating the sprightly melodic-pop charm that made their debut so appealing; not so much picking up where the debut left off, but enhancing and refining it instead. Despite cleaning things up a bit on production, the band remain true to their tendency for lyrical pessimism, and it’s a welcomed non-departure for the dejected among us: look no further than the frantic frustration of „Bad Year“’ and the jagged despondency of „Idiot Button“ for conviction.

There are so many nuanced triumphs here: Whitaker’s vital cadences atop of guitar distortion recalls a more vocal version of My Bloody Valentine’s sonic explorations – and although not a particularly unique affinity – it works incredibly well, and it’s not one bit contrived or unwarranted. Elsewhere the hurried fuzz of tracks like „Enabler“ „Bad Year“ and „Sledgehammer“ are wonderfully counteracted by the contemplative quieter moments, like the introspective brilliance of „Waste Of Sunshine“ and loud/quiet, frantic balladry of „Idiot Button“.

In all, it’s the band’s discordant youthful cynicism and Whitaker’s distinctive voice – both delicate and squalling – that prevail here, making Expect Delays a veritable success. It’s a quality that separates them from the rest of the modern indie pop contingent, while they simultaneously dispel the myth of the tricky follow-up. The difficult second album never sounded so effortlessly good. (8,5/10)

--

#9509985  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Für jede herablassende Wertung in der Umfrage gibt’s eine positive Online-Rezension:

pastemagazine.com“Intrinsic Grey” sets the tone. The first song on Evans the Death’s second album is a glorious trainwreck, a stuttering, amped-up gem that regularly collapses under the weight of its own feedback. This is calamity-packed pop music, storm and stress with a melody, with guitars careening into each other and a rhythm section that lurches like a multi-car pile-up down on the highway.

Evans the Death is a four-piece pop band from London that finds beauty within noise. Naturally they’re on Slumberland in the States—they sidle up just fine alongside Black Tambourine or Boyracer. Their strongest asset is Katherine Whitaker’s voice, which is powerful but tender, joyous and carefree on one song and heartbreakingly sad on the next. Her voice is like a jar of honey on top of a stack of busted amps.

“Intrinsic Grey” isn’t a false start—the band loves a nice din. “Terrified” almost buries a bouncy organ riff and danceable rhythm under sheets of guitar fuzz. The dirge-like “Don’t Laugh at My Angry Face” seems to coat every instrument with distortion, from bass to guitars to Whitaker’s keyboards. Imagine Les Rallizes Denudes if they wrote a pop duet in English that peaks just a little bit lower in the red than most of their stuff.

Still, this is a pop band. The record’s highlights come on such meat-and-potatoes indie-pop songs as “Sledgehammer” and “Bad Year,” where the band’s love of noise works alongside their knack for melody and catchy riffs to produce timeless pop songs. It comes to a head on “Clean Up,” which is like a two-minute cathedral of guitar riffs and frantic drumming with Whitaker singing for forgiveness. It’s a song that would work on college radio or lovelorn indie rock mixtapes from any era. Tough but sugary, Expect Delays is an unhindered blast.

„Expect Delays“ ist ein glorioses Biest!

--

#9509987  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

„I have nothing left worth keeping/
    And it rains in my bed/
    I was sleeping/
    When the doctor announced me dead/
    But don’t beat yourself up/
    Give yourself a chance…“

Das ist „England Made Me“ revisited, 17 Jahre später. Dazu eine ausgemergelte Melodie, die nach Neil Youngs „Thrasher“ klingt, nur entschleunigt und erschöpft. So rührend.

--

Ansicht von 6 Beiträgen - 1 bis 6 (von insgesamt 6)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.