Gaz Coombes (Supergrass) – Matador

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Gaz Coombes (Supergrass) – Matador

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 15)
  • Autor

audiophonic

Tolles neues Solo-Album, immer noch diese Stimme! Hier im stream:

http://www.rollingstone.de/news/meldungen/article684865/gaz-coombes-neues-album-matador-vor-veroeffentlichung-im-stream.html

Live in zu sehen im Februar:

Freitag, 13.02 Hamburg – Rock Cafe St. Pauli
    Samstag, 14.02 Berlin – FRANNZ Club

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #9475253  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Dass das Album einen Titel hat, eine Tracklist sowie ein Cover, ist in einem Album-Thread sicherlich nicht erwähnenswert. Gute Einstellung!

--

#9475255  | PERMALINK

chocolate-milk

Es heißt „Matador“ und wird am 23.01.15 hier bei uns veröffentlicht. Die Tracks die ich bisher gehört habe, gefallen mir sehr gut (freue mich sehr aufs Album). Übrigens, sehr einladend deine Art, Ragged Glory!

1. Buffalo
      2. 20/20
      3. The English Ruse
      4. The Girl Who Fell To Earth
      5. Detroit
      6. Needle’s Eye
      7. Seven Walls
      8. Oscillate
      9. To The Wire
      10. Is It On?
      11. Matador

--

#9475257  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

Heute im Laden reingehört und es packt mich nicht mehr wie in alten Zeiten. Für mich kein must-have.

--

"And everything I know is what I need to know and everything I do's been done before."
      #9475259  | PERMALINK

magicmatthes
      Klassensprecher

chocolate milk Die Tracks die ich bisher gehört habe, gefallen mir sehr gut (freue mich sehr aufs Album).

Kennst Du sein erstes Solo- Album? Supergrass haben mich schon länger nicht mehr richtig überzeugt, wie ist sein Solo- Werk? Vergleichbar?

--

Kiss me where the sun don't shine // Top 20 Listen
      #9475261  | PERMALINK

nail75

Dennis BlandfordHeute im Laden reingehört und es packt mich nicht mehr wie in alten Zeiten. Für mich kein must-have.

Die Zeiten sind eben auch einfach vorbei.

--

Ohne Musik ist alles Leben ein Irrtum.
      #9475263  | PERMALINK

Anonym
      Inaktiv

nail75Die Zeiten sind eben auch einfach vorbei.

Mehr noch: sie waren nie da.

--

#9475265  | PERMALINK

liam1994

Hat mit Zeiten nichts zu tun. Das Album spricht mich nicht an. Supergrass-Platten höre ich bisweilen immer noch gerne. Stilistisch hat das nicht mehr viel mit Supergrass zu tun. Wäre mir egal, wenn die Songs da wären. Sind sie aber m.E. nicht wirklich.

--

Nie mehr Zweite Liga!!!
      #9475267  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

Hatte ich auch so gehört u. ich bin wie du Pro-Supergrass.

--

"And everything I know is what I need to know and everything I do's been done before."
      #9475269  | PERMALINK

chocolate-milk

magicmatthesKennst Du sein erstes Solo- Album? Supergrass haben mich schon länger nicht mehr richtig überzeugt, wie ist sein Solo- Werk? Vergleichbar?

Nein, habe viele Solowerke der großen Britpopbands verfolgt (Damon Albarn, Brett Anderson, Jarvis Cocker, Noel und Liam), aber Gaz Coombes Solowerk bisher nicht. Bin auf diese VÖ nur durch Zufall gestoßen, zum Glück. Bei Soundcloud kann man sich einige Tracks anhören und ich muss sagen, dass mir alle Tracks deutlich besser gefallen, als die Kompositionen auf den letzten Supergrass-Alben. Würde an deiner Stelle unbedingt ein Ohr riskieren. Hab dir mal ein paar Meinungen der Presse rausgesucht, metacritic sei Dank:

Q Magazine [Feb 2015, p.116]
      Made up of Coombes’s most beautiful compositions yet.

Uncut [Feb 2015, p.75]
      For all the haunting, dislocated atmospheres here, Coombes still has an ear for melodies.

The Guardian
      Matador is Gaz Coombes’s second solo album since the demise of Supergrass. Those who admire the muscularity that propelled that band and the economy of Coombes’s songwriting will not be disappointed by songs such as To the Wire. They may, however, be shocked at its opening line: “I want to cut myself/ Cut myself down.” Similarly, Detroit’s krautrock patterns bubble along prettily, but “there is panic in my heart” is an unsettling refrain. Matador’s sound textures are pulled together from a wide range of sources: a gospel feel on the chorus of 20/20, a touch of Neu! in The English Ruse. There’s a trace of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, not only in Matador’s use of slapback vocal echo, but also in its raw, confessional lyrics. Coombes’s voice has always been a powerful pop instrument, thrillingly on the edge of hysteria. On Matador, it’s also a howl of pain. (klick)

Drowned In Sound
      As daft as Britpop may have been, it’s one of the few fleeting trends in rock music to tirelessly fight back for reappraisal. Key players from the era have all but moved on and yet it’s impressionable millennials who keep trying to flog a dead horse. Gaz Coombes clearly drew a line when Supergrass released Road to Rouen back in 2005 – a slow burning gem of maturity that arguably came a little too ‚late in the day‘ to win back a sizeable audience. If you’ve not heard it, seek it out. Still, moving on – what matters is this, Matador, Gaz Coombes‘ second solo effort is here, and it’s about to win him a much deserved second wind of respect. Self-produced, self-performed and self-released on Hot Fruit Records, this authoritative 39-minute-album presents an artist in rude health, channelling inspiration and style both new and old to great effect. Opener ‚Buffalo‘ tears Matador wide open – an immediate and downright magnificent track that has Gaz stretching his songwriting muscles in a way only the man who wrote ‚Sun Hits The Sky‘ could do. Monolithic drums, staccato synth and a chorus to die for – it’s a definitive start to an album that treads a wide range of emotion and sound. The first and only real wobble comes with the politically charged ‚The English Ruse‘, an uncanny musical emulation of ‚Month of May‘ by Arcade Fire that has Gaz turning in his best Win Butler impression – albeit unintentionally. ‚The Girl Who Fell To Earth‘ follows with an ethereal ode to lovelorn affection : – “how I wish we could start over / you wear your elastic heart on your chewed up sleeve” sings Gaz to his muse, a girl of extraordinary allurement who seems far more invested in her love of science than his desperate gaze (either this, or it’s actually a song about an alien…). Mid cut ‚Needles Eye‘ brings the record firmly back into anthemic territory with Beverlei Brown and Faith Simpson lending their choral pipes to the proceedings. It’s a sure fire highlight rich in psychedelic experimentation, elevated further by smart vocal sampling and cryptic lyricism. ‚Seven Walls‘ continues the trend of coupling introspection with an almost apocalyptic pay off. Co-written with his wife, the song is a nostalgic ode to the intoxicating moments of their young relationship. “Cause the night is ours / so don’t step on the cracks / cause I love you tonight / so don’t step on the cracks / cause I want you tonight” screams Gaz over the astonishing outro and one can’t help but feel there’s a whole lot of catharsis being unleashed through these simple but effective words. Matador is a precise work of outstanding talent. While it may recycle the emotive wild card a little too often for some, any keen ear will be able to tell you this isn’t some half baked solo project. Vital, urgent and impassioned – Gas Coombes has written the record he always deserved a chance to make. Forget Britpop, forget ‚Alright‘ and forget what you think you know about the guy – just listen. (klick)

--

#9475271  | PERMALINK

magicmatthes
      Klassensprecher

Herzlichen Dank! Hört sich interessant / gut an, da werde mir die Platte dann wohl mal gönnen.

--

Kiss me where the sun don't shine // Top 20 Listen
      #9475273  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

nail75Die Zeiten sind eben auch einfach vorbei.

Das ist natürlich ein Argument, das nichts beweist. Auch wenn „die Zeiten“ nicht vorbei wären, könnte Gaz ja eine schlechte Platte „passieren“. Oder halt eine gute. Um das zu beurteilen, sollte man die Platte schon gehört haben. Ich erwarte die LP am kommenden WE. Dann werde ich mich zu ihr äußern können, das Solo-Debüt war jedenfalls sehr passabel – weckte aber kaum Supergrass-Assoziationen (abgesehen von der Stimme natürlich).

edit: Eine öffentliche Umfrage wäre wünschenswert. Danke.

--

#9475275  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Ragged Gloryedit: Eine öffentliche Umfrage wäre wünschenswert. Danke.

Bitte!

--

#9475277  | PERMALINK

chocolate-milk

magicmatthesHerzlichen Dank! Hört sich interessant / gut an, da werde mir die Platte dann wohl mal gönnen.

Gern geschehen. Würde mich freuen. Meine Vorbestellung ist gestern hier im Briefkasten gewesen, werd in den nächsten Tagen dann mal meine Eindrücke posten.

--

#9475279  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

„The Girl Who Fell To Earth“ vom aktuellen RS-Weekender Sampler macht dann doch nochmal neugierig. Tolle Atmosphäre, die er da transportiert.

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 15)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.