SUGAR STEMS – Only Come Out At Night [22.07.2014]

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten SUGAR STEMS – Only Come Out At Night [22.07.2014]

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 16 bis 23 (von insgesamt 23)
  • Autor

Anonym
    Inaktiv

Bin auch sehr unschlüssig ob ich mir die LP zulegen werde. Auf Album Länge konnten die Sugar Stems bisher noch nicht überzeugen. Ihre Singles sind aber schon toll.

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #9240947  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Xerxes, hast Du die Goodnight Loving-Platte auf der Betsy mitsingt? Wäre die lohnenswert für mich?

--

#9240949  | PERMALINK

Anonym
    Inaktiv

Von Goodnight Loving hatte ich mal die „Supper Club“ LP. Gute LP aber nicht gut genug um sie zu behalten. Ob Frau Borst dort mitgesungen hat, weiß ich ehrlich gestanden nicht mehr.

--

#9240951  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

ShanksRiesige Vorfreude!

Ist die Band bei Dir mittlerweile abgemeldet? Es ist von Dir bisher kein Wort gefallen und keine Umfrage-Teilnahme ersichtlich. Irgendwie unheimlich…

skylordDas war zumindest mein Bauchgefühl nach anhören erster Lieder.

Und wie sieht Deine Wertung mittlerweile aus?

--

#9240953  | PERMALINK

kaesen

Heute morgen noch einmal gehört und es bleibt bei meinen ***1/2.
    Die Platte legt los wie die Feuerwehr, als würde mit aller Macht versucht, enem gute Laune einzutrichtern. Das funktioniert die ersten drei Tracks hervorragend, wird dann aber zu viel. Vor allem Run Run Rabbit ist völlig nervend.
    Zum Ende gibt es dann zum Glück noch die schöne Verschnaufpause Million Miles. 2-3 Songs weniger hätten der Platte gut getan.

--

Käse ist gesund!
    #9240955  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Danke für die schönen Eindrücke, kaesen. Ich höre es zwar etwas anders, kann aber Deine Einschätzungen schon nachvollziehen. „Million Miles“ ist jedoch definitiv keine „Verschnaufpause„, weil darauf ja kein Track mehr folgt.

„Can’t Wait“ könnte das ideale Sugar Stems-Album für Dich sein, weil es a) keinen Track bietet, der wie „Run Run Rabbit“ klingt, b) die LP nur zehn Tracks enthält und c) die beiden „Verschnaufpausen“-Tracks („Landline Static“ und „Love You To Pieces“) strategisch großartig platziert wurden. Also, sollte Deine Neugier noch ausreichen…

--

#9240957  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Eine stimmige Rezension auf www.fortheloveofpunk.com

fortheloveofpunk.comSometime last Fall, I decided to finally take what seemed like the whole world’s advice and pick up the Sugar Stems‘ LP entitled Can’t Wait. I was floored. I must have replayed the album 100 plus times before remembering that other music or bands even existed. Since I was so late to jump on the Sugar Stems bandwagon, talk of their new LP had already begun and so had my countdown to another one of my top albums of the year.

Only Come Out at Night was released on Dirtnap Records on July 22nd, 2014. The album contains twelve sweetly poppy and delightfully catchy songs. Lyrically, the album seems to head in a different direction. Many of the songs off Can’t Wait are voiced by a strong yet guarded female. She seems to play the fool while always being one step ahead of the object of her affection. The new album has plenty of well crafted (anti) love songs, but they are more sparse and more mature. If Can’t Wait is the bad, codependent relationship, Only Come Out at Night is the phase where you pick yourself up off the kitchen floor, put the cap back on what’s left of the whiskey and realize that you should move on. Don’t get me wrong, I love both albums very much. But it is that equal but different love that parents always claim to have for their children.

„Baby Teeth“ opens the album and gives first time listeners a taste of what to expect of both the band and the new record. Singer/guitarist Betsy’s silky smooth voice croons harsh realities as she sings „17, we were young and we were mean/ sitting somewhere in between right and wrong/ 28, with my tail between my legs and regrets that I’ve been dragging all along.“ „Haunted“ is another great track, sung by Drew (of the Jetty Boys). It has a definite bubblegum ’60s rock and roll feel to it which literally forces your body to move and sway as the track continues.

Two of the songs that took a while for me to warm up to were „Run Run Rabbit“ and „Radio Heartthrob“. They are not only a divergence from the niche carved out in Can’t Wait, they differ from the other songs on this album as well. The percussion side (Jon on drums and Stephanie on bass) moves to the front of a band who showcases mostly treble, letting them really shine.

If there was a song that hearkens back to the themes set out in Can’t Wait, it is „Some Might Say“. Lyrically, it is about the repercussions of getting your heart-broken. Musically, it has that syrupy sweet sound with something much darker lurking under the surface, a trait that the Sugar Stems continuously and flawlessly execute.

Falling in love with a band, to me, is very similar as falling in love with a person. I genuinely care about them. I will do whatever I can to support them. But, I’m going to be judgmental as fuck when it comes to their creative output because I want the best for them. The Sugar Stems did not disappoint with Only Come Out at Night. Put on the track bearing the same name as the album and fall head over heels for this band.

--

#9240959  | PERMALINK

ragged-glory

Es freut mich sehr, dass Wolfgang das Album rezensiert hat. Vielleicht werden ein paar unschlüssige Foris nun doch zur LP greifen. Sie dürften nicht enttäuscht werden.

--

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 16 bis 23 (von insgesamt 23)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.