Soul Re-issues

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 61 bis 75 (von insgesamt 211)
  • Autor

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Du bist ja nicht zu bremsen … aus Reihe gibt es auch noch Vol. 3 – fällt die ab, oder ist sie einfach zu neu, um als „gefährdet“ auch mitgenannt zu werden?

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #150: Neuheiten 2023/24 – 12.3., 22:00; #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #9114023  | PERMALINK

soulpope
      "Ever Since The World Ended, I Don`t Get Out As Much"

gypsy tail windDu bist ja nicht zu bremsen … aus Reihe gibt es auch noch Vol. 3 – fällt die ab, oder ist sie einfach zu neu, um als „gefährdet“ auch mitgenannt zu werden?

Gut beobachtet ;-)……die Vol.1+2 beleuchten zumeist die Aufnahmen aus den 60ern bis ganz frühen 70er aus dem Abet/Excello Katalog, welche ich besonders schätze…….Vol.3 ist eine eher durchwachsene Angelegenheit und den hier enthaltenen Output der mit Abstand glühendsten Stimme aka Doris Duke hast Du bereits sicher in einem anderen Format (Teil der LP „Legends in Her Own“, welches es ja in einer sehr feinen Reissue bei ACE/Kent gibt)…die übrigen Beiträge mit ganz wenigen Ausnahmen (Jimmy Jules „My World Tumbles Down“) empfinde ich nicht so zwingend….

--

"Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit" (K. Valentin)
      #9114025  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

Okay, alles klar … von Duke hab ich bisher auch nur File-Häufchen … das wäre dann diese hier, ja?

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #150: Neuheiten 2023/24 – 12.3., 22:00; #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
      #9114027  | PERMALINK

soulpope

gypsy tail windOkay, alles klar … von Duke hab ich bisher auch nur File-Häufchen … das wäre dann diese hier, ja?

JA :sonne:

--

#9114029  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

Es gibt ja auch ein straightes Reissue des ersten Albums … und eine ebenfalls beide Album und etwas mehr umfassende CD mit anderem Cover – etwas verwirrlich. Dieses blaue Cover ist mir aber vertraut … die CD habe ich jedoch mit Sicherheit noch nicht.

--

#9114031  | PERMALINK

soulpope

gypsy tail windEs gibt ja auch ein straightes Reissue des ersten Albums … und eine ebenfalls beide Album und etwas mehr umfassende CD mit anderem Cover – etwas verwirrlich. Dieses blaue Cover ist mir aber vertraut … die CD habe ich jedoch mit Sicherheit noch nicht.

Das ist die sicherlich beste Überspielung – ein wirklich kristallklares Remastering, quasi Doris Duke live in Deinem Musikhörraum :wow:……..diesen hohen Standard hat ACE Kent über die Jahre bewundernswert gehalten bzw sogar in Teilbereichen verbessert…es ist sicher ein Paradefall einer Reissuefirma…….

--

#9114033  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Without question this CD comprises the best album from Esther Phillips‘ star-crossed career which lasted from the age of 14 to her tragically premature death at the age of 48 worn down by years of drug abuse, an addiction picked up on the road touring in her teens. Her singing with its distinctive pinched almost nasal tone is unimpeachably soulful and I reckon she is probably THE greatest R&B ballad singer of them all as evinced by the awesome „That’s All Right With Me“ on this album. This LP is probably most famous for Esther’s staggering, heartfelt cover of Gil Scott Heron’s searing depiction of the debilitating consequences of drug addition, „Home Is Where The Hatred Is“ which apparently Esther was reluctant to record due to its obvious parallels to her own parlous situation (in fact it was the last song she recorded – turning in a peerless performance which just floors you every time).

Esther also brilliantly covers two Allen Toussaint songs; the moody, brooding „From A Whisper To A Scream“ and the sprightlier funk-soul „Sweet Touch Of Love“. She also stridently covers Eddie Floyd’s „Til My Back Ain’t Got No Bone“ which in a pleasant surprise this CD doubles the length of this great track to over 6-minutes compared to the recent Blu-Spec CD Japanese reissue. In addition this CD contains a different mix of the great ballad „To Lay Down Beside You“ to the recent Japanese Blu-Spec CD reissue containing additional sax (both versions are very fine in their different ways though in this case I think the sparer Japanese take just about shades it). More magnificent singing is displayed on a lush version of the Motown Marvin & Anna Gaye penned nugget, „Baby I’m For Real“ which easily trumps the first version by The Originals.

There are also four bonus tracks (not on the 2014 Japanese reissue), all worthwhile including a soulful organ-flecked version of Carole King’s „Brother, Brother“, two excellent ballads in the jazzy „Don’t Run To Him“ (which has some very cool jazz guitar licks) and „A Beautiful Friendship“ (which was tackled again later in Esther’s tenure on Kudu Records). Finally there is the jazz-hued blues of „How Blue Can You Get?“ (an excellent performance which wouldn’t have been a comfortable fit to the mood of the original album).

Finally a note about the band consisting some of the finest jazz musicians New York had to offer at the time including Richard Tee, Eric Gale, Bernard Purdie, Hank Crawford, David Liebman and Airto Moreira amongst others and with brilliant arrangements by the amazing James Brown (and later Van Morrison) side-man, Pee Wee Ellis. You simply won’t get a better backing band than that, period and they are predictably superb throughout.

Tja, das sollte oder ich vermeine zu sagen muss man dann wohl (noch einmal) KAUFEN !!!!

http://www.soulmusic.com/index.asp?S=1&T=38&ART=4115

--

#9114035  | PERMALINK

soulpope

EDDY GILLES Southern Soul Brother The Murco Recordings 1967-1969

http://acerecords.co.uk/southern-soul-brother-the-murco-recordings-1967-1969

Brüder und Schwestern des Southern Soul, nach der Sommerpause wieder einmal etwas Essentielles aus dem Hause Kent/ACE – glaubensbedingter Pflichtkauf !!

PS Diese Scheibe erscheint erst Ende Oktober 2014, man kann sich aber schon davor mit dieser Sammlung an Schätzen des Murco Labels laben :

http://acerecords.co.uk/shreveport-southern-soul-the-murco-story

--

#9114037  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Ein der grossen Stimmen des Deep Southern Soul, deren Strahlen und Leuchten auf Singles vieler Kleinlabels (und auch einiger „Majors“ aka Decca) zwischen 1964-1970 verteilt war – der essentielle Output von Grover Mitchell hier versammelt auf einer Kompilation und erwerbbar via

Ohne mich wiederholen zu wollen – :director: PFLICHTKAUF :director:!!!

--

#9114039  | PERMALINK

soulpope

(CD Ace/Kent CDKEND 402) Was für eine Stimme – die mit gleicher Autorität den Rhythmus von Detroit tanzen wie auch durch die tiefsten Sümpfe des Südens waten konnte….only the good die young….

--

#9114041  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://acerecords.co.uk/sweet-sweetheart-the-american-studios-sessions-and-more

--

#9114043  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Mitte Dezember 2014 erscheint :

„Looking for a Love – The Complete Valentinos SAR Recordings (Abkco)“

Enthalten darauf ist :

The Womack Brothers (members Bobby Womack, Cecil Womack, Curtis Womack, Friendly Jr. Womack and Harris „Harry“ Womack (born 25-June-1945 — died ?- March-1974 — cause: stabbed to death by his wife))

Sar 118 – Somebody’s Wrong / Yield Not To Temptation – 1961
      Sar 123 – Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray / Somewhere There’s A God – 1962

The Valentinos (members Bobby Womack, Cecil Womack, Curtis Womack, Friendly Jr. Womack and Harris Womack)

Sar 132 – Lookin‘ For A Love / Somewhere There’s A Girl – 1962
      Sar – I’ve Got A Girl – 1962 (unissued at the time this was released in 1994 in U. S. A. on a Abcko 2 Cd set “Sam Cooke’s Sar Records Story 1959 – 1965” 2231-2 (Disc 2))
      Sar – Tired Of Living In The Country – 1962 (unissued at the time earlier version of Sar 152 that includes Johnnie Morisette on background vocals.. This was released in 1994 in U. S. A. on a Abcko 2 Cd set “Sam Cooke’s Sar Records Story 1959 – 1965” 2231-2 (Disc 2))

The Valentinos / The Lovers

Sar 137 – Darling Come Back Home / I’ll Make It Alright* – 1963 *flip by The Lovers (members Bobby Womack, Cecil Womack, Curtis Womack, Friendly Jr. Womack and Harris Womack

The Valentinos (members Bobby Womack, Cecil Womack, Curtis Womack, Friendly Jr. Womack and Harris Womack)

Sar 144 – Baby Lots Of Luck / She’s So Good To Me – 1963
      Sar – I’ve Got Love For You – 1964 (unissued at the time this was released in 1994 in U. S. A. on a Abcko 2 Cd set “Sam Cooke’s Sar Records Story 1959 – 1965” 2231-2 (Disc 2))
      Sar 152 – It’s All Over Now* / Tired Of Living In The Country – 1964 *Also recorded in 1964 by The Rolling Stones on London 9687 and in 1964 by The C & C Boys on Duke 379 plus in 1966 by The Drew-Vels on Quill 107.
      Sar 155 – Bitter Dreams / Everybody Want’s To Fall In Love – 1964
      Astra 1026 – Lookin‘ For A Love / Somewhere There’s A Girl – 1965

Wer dies (noch) nicht kennt = Pflichtkauf !!!!!

--

#9114045  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Florida-born soul singer Jackie Moore began her recording career in 1968 with singles on the Shout and Wand labels; however, it was her first release for Atlantic Records in early 1970 that catapulted her to national prominence in the U.S with a song—written by Jackie and her cousin Dave Crawford, who produced it—that started out as the B-side to her debut single for the label. The label selected the brass-laden “Willpower,” but a radio disc jockey flipped the record, got immediate reaction, and Jackie ended up with a gold record in the form of “Precious, Precious,” a lilting, gentle slice of Southern soul that remains a timeless R&B classic. Working initially with Crawford (and later with renowned co-producer Brad Shapiro) at Criteria Studios in Miami, Jackie cut 21 tracks over between November 1969 and June 1972 including the R&B-charting singles “Sometimes It’s Got to Rain (In Your Love Life),” “Time” and “Darling Baby” (a cover of the Elgins’ Motown hit). In late 1972, she began working with the Philadelphia team known as The Young Professionals, consisting of singer Phil Hurtt together with Atlantic A&R man LeBaron Taylor and singer/songwriter Bunny Sigler (who was later replaced by guitarist Tony Bell, producer Thom Bell’s younger sibling). The result was her second biggest Atlantic hit, “Sweet Charlie Babe,” a Top 20 R&B and Top 50 pop charted single. The track became the title for Jackie’s sole Atlantic album, which was released in 1973 and also boasted the Top 30 R&B hit, “Both Ends Against the Middle.” Real Gone Music (in association with SoulMusic Records) is now proud to present The Complete Atlantic Recordings, a 2-CD, 30-track set offering Jackie’s entire output for Atlantic with a total of 14 previously unreleased tracks (that’s nearly half the release)! Liner notes by acclaimed UK writer Charles Waring include extensive quotes from Jackie herself, producer Phil Hurtt and songwriter Vinnie Barrett. Remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision.

--

#9114047  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://acerecords.co.uk/spread-your-love-the-complete-minit-singles-1966-1970

Das Reissue Jahr 2015 lässt sich gut an, per Ende Jänner gibts vie versammelten 45er Aufnahmen von Jimmy Holiday auf Minit….sollte in ernshafte Erwägung gezogen werden :director:

--

#9114049  | PERMALINK

soulpope

SOUL SEARCHING -„So soulfull songs on LOST and FOUND“

1. NOW THAT I’VE LOST YOU – ELDRIDGE HOLMES
      2. SINCE I LOST YOU – EARL GAINES
      3. I FOUND A LOVE – JOANN & TROY
      4. I FOUND MY LOVE – THE EMOTIONS
      5. I LOST MY GOOD THING – LEE ELDRED
      6. I LOST MY LOVE (IN A BEGGAR’S DREAM) – ROBERT M & D PATTERSON
      7. I FOUND A BRAND NEW LOVE – EDDIE KIRK
      8. I FOUND OUT – DON HOLLINGER
      9. SINCE I’VE LOST YOU – GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS
      10. LOST IN THE SHUFFLE – O V WRIGHT
      11. I FOUND THE ONE – BILLY SHA-RAE
      12. YOU FOUND YOURSELF ANOTHER FOOL – THE ELVINS
      13. I LOST EVERYTHING – JOHNNY THOMPSON
      14. I’M LOST WITHOUT YOU – JOSEPH MOORE
      15. I FINALLY FOUND A WOMAN – TIMMY WILLIS
      16. I FOUND MY LOVE – CLYDE McPHATTER
      17. I LOVED AND LOST – BOBBY JONES
      18. YOU LOST YOUR GOOD THING – CHYVONNE SCOTT
      19. I FOUND A LOVE – EDDIE & ERNIE
      20. I FOUND ALL THESE THINGS – C P LOVE
      21. LOST IN THE CROWD – BILLY BYRD
      22. HOW CAN WE FIND LOVE – THE DELLS

Available from:
      VIVID SOUND (UK) LIMITED
      PO Box 1 Nayland
      Colchester
      Essex
      CO6 4JG
      TEL: 01787 228238 – email: d.porter3@btconnect.com

MIt Gspür gewählte Thematik, welche da facto durchgehend erhörenswerte Tracks dargelegt……. alleine schon den Kaufpreis (ca 12 Pfund) wert ist der im tiefsten Dunkel durchlebte Deepie „I LOST MY LOVE (IN A BEGGAR’S DREAM)“ – ROBERT M & D PATTERSON (Original veröffentlicht auf Tangerine)…aber das ist nur eines der Highlights, nur meinen momentaner örtlicher Abstand zu meinem 45er Schrein lässt mich nicht sofort nach den Elaboraten von Eldridge Holmes, Eddie Kirk, Don Hollinger, The Elvins, Eddie and Ernie, C P Love suchen…..also falls sich jemand der geneigten Leser dieses Threads noch selbt zu Weihnachten beschenken möchte – gegenständliches Packerl glitzert auch ohne Lametta !!!

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 61 bis 75 (von insgesamt 211)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.