Soul Re-issues

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 136 bis 150 (von insgesamt 211)
  • Autor

ferry

Irma Thomas‘ Album „Wish Someone Would Care“ wird vom Label Oldays Records/ Clinck Records (Japan) neu aufgelegt. Kennt jemand das Label, ist das empfehlenswert ?

--

life is a dream[/SIZE]
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #9114173  | PERMALINK

soulpope
    "Ever Since The World Ended, I Don`t Get Out As Much"

ferryIrma Thomas‘ Album „Wish Someone Would Care“ wird vom Label Oldays Records/ Clinck Records (Japan) neu aufgelegt. Kennt jemand das Label, ist das empfehlenswert ?

Das ist offenbar eine Reissue der Imperial LP aus 1964 (orignal ist mono, gab es später auch als „pseudo-stereo“) – eine frühe „Big- City-Style“ Aufnahme, zB

Persönlich schätze ich ihre südlich getränkten Aufnahmen ab 1967/68 für Chess, Cotillion, Fungus, Canyon etc wesentlich mehr ….

--

"Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit" (K. Valentin)
    #9114175  | PERMALINK

ferry

Und das japanische Reissue- Label, kennst Du das ?

--

life is a dream[/SIZE]
    #9114177  | PERMALINK

soulpope

ferryUnd das japanische Reissue- Label, kennst Du das ?

Sagt mir leider gar Nichts :doh: ….

--

#9114179  | PERMALINK

ferry

Erscheint mir etwas obskur, deswegen hab ich mal nachgefragt.

Anders kommt man an das Album im Moment leider nicht zum vernünftigen Preis ran.

--

life is a dream[/SIZE]
    #9114181  | PERMALINK

soulpope

ferryErscheint mir etwas obskur, deswegen hab ich mal nachgefragt.

Anders kommt man an das Album im Moment leider nicht zum vernünftigen Preis ran.

Ich hab mal bei Disk Union Japan geschaut, welche eine breite Palette an japanischen Label vertreiben und auch dort kommen diese Namen nicht vor …. unter Clinck Records finde ich eine Jimmy Castor Bunch Reissue (CD) aus 2014 ….

--

#9114183  | PERMALINK

ferry

Wird auch nur über ebay angeboten. Wie gesagt, etwas obskur.

--

life is a dream[/SIZE]
    #9114185  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/you-got-me-gotta-find-a-way

--

#9114187  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://www.rhino.com/article/now-available-aretha-franklin-the-atlantic-albums-collection

--

#9114189  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Trotz des gospelbezogenen Titels musikalisch ein Gebräu mit starken Soul- und Funkelementen, daher stelle ich dies mal hier ein :

Various Artists „Christians Catch Hell: Gospel Roots 1976-79“ (Honest Jon’s)

Producer and label owner Henry Stone, who passed away last August at the age of 93, was the kind of mythic record label executive who turns up midway through music biopics, or as the „other guy“ in countless photos of famous artists. He regularly shared cognac at his house with James Brown; he recorded a young Ray Charles; he singlehandedly put Miami on the map with his early ’70s label TK Records; and made a star of a worker in his warehouse named Harry Wayne Casey, whose KC & the Sunshine band scored disco hits like „That’s The Way (I Like It)“ and „(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty“ for TK. Just as impressive as his business smarts was his restlessness: though TK was Stone’s primary concern, he also oversaw a fleet of smaller independent labels, each of which had a different stylistic focus, but were all loosely linked to R&B.

One of those labels was Gospel Roots, which Stone founded in 1976 with Timmy Thomas, who had himself scored a hit four years prior with „Why Can’t We Live Together“, a song that has had a particularly big 2015. Like all of Stone’s ventures, Gospel Roots quickly amassed a sprawling discography, releasing 50 LPs in just three years. Part of this was owed to the label’s canny structure—rather than shelling out for recording and production, Stone snapped up pre-existing gospel masters from regional artists and simply pressed and distributed them through Gospel Roots. According to the extensive notes included with Christians Catch Hell, Thomas rarely met—or even spoke to—the artists whose work he was commissioned to promote. The label expired just three years after it was founded, without scoring a single notable hit.

That backstory makes Christians Catch Hell—a collection of 18 tracks from the Gospel Roots label—seem like yet another in a long line of barrel-scraping reissues of „lost classics,“ but the music it contains transcends record collector arcana, providing instead a snapshot of the underexplored intersection between disco, funk, and gospel. Despite its fiery title, the prevailing themes on Christians are joy, empathy and compassion; in nearly all of them, salvation and Divine love are contrasted with societal ills. On the loose, New Orleans-style R&B of the Fantastic Family Aires‘ „Tell Me“, vocalist Rachion Conigan asks repeatedly, „What is this world coming to?“ describing fractured families and global catastrophes as the band vamps balefully behind him. Later, in „The Color of God“, they attack racism, describing God as being „a natural color,“ existing above toxic, man-made prejudice. Like „Tell Me“, the music that accompanies it is a slow walk, full of teardrop guitar licks and heartbeat bass lines.

By contrast, Pastor T.L. Barrett’s swooping „After the Rain“ comes on like Talking Book-era Stevie Wonder, with big, clanging piano ringing out behind Barrett’s fervent reassurances of God’s enduring love. And „On Jesus‘ Program“, by the Original Sunset Travelers, is a kind of twilight doo-wop number that edges its way forward slowly, with an unidentified lead vocalist spilling his honeyed tenor over deep-set, creeping music. There are fragments of hundreds of styles on Christians: the wacka-wacka disco guitar on „For the Children“, the twinkling cocktail lounge funk on the sweeping „Said It Long Time Ago“, and late-night Quiet Storm vocals on the praise number „Spirit Free“, which gracefully blurs the line between spiritual and romantic love. Christians subtly connects all of these genres, indicating passages from one to the other while also gesturing toward their common source in gospel music. More than being a simple celebration of obscure artists, Christians is instead a kind of roadmap, tracing the byways that lead from one style to another.

At times, it could do with a bit more heat. With few of the tracks operating above mid-tempo, it begins to sag slightly as it goes on. Fortunately, it snaps back into focus with the late arrival of the title track, a smoky, agonized blues number powered by the impassioned vocals of Rev. Edna Isaac and the Greene Sisters. In the liners, Isaac describes crying while writing the lyrics, and every ounce of that pain turns up in her delivery. Unlike the rest of the record, which presents religion as a rescue, „Christians Catch Hell“ focuses on the difficulty of having faith, and the oppression from friends and spiritual forces that accompanies belief. „People who are non-Christians/ Throw stumbling blocks in your way,“ she cautions, „Satan chooses his disciples/ Puts his seal on them to do his ways/…But I’d rather be a Christian/ And stay with the Lord every day.“ Like all of the songs on Christians, it didn’t turn its singer into a star on par with, say KC & the Sunshine Band. But the conviction of the performance and the clarity of the lyrics suggests that perhaps earthly acclaim was beside the point.

(Review Pitchfork December 2015)

--

#9114191  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Für Motown Komplettisten :

Motown Unreleased 1965, a digital-only release, includes previously unreleased tracks from legends like Stevie Wonder (“Dance Yeah Dance,” “‘Til 12 O’Clock,” “Funny (How Time Slips Away)” and “About My Baby,” the latter two with Clarence Paul), The Four Tops (“Just Your Love” and an alternate vocal version of “I Like Everything About You”), Smokey Robinson (“Try a Little Tenderness,” “I Cried for You” and an alternate of “Going to a Go-Go”), Brenda Holloway (“My Precious Dreams,” “What Have I Done to Myself”), Martha and the Vandellas (an alternate of “Can’t Break the Habit”), The Spinners (“While the City Sleeps”) and The Temptations (an alternate of “I Got Heaven Right Here on Earth”). Other Motown favorites represented on the set include Chris Clark with “I Don’t Want You Anymore” and a rendition ofThe Beatles’ “Yesterday,” one-time big-band songbird Connie Haines with Ron Miller and Orlando Murden’s beloved “For Once in My Life,” plus tunes by Oma Heard, The Lewis Sisters, Shorty Long, The Monitors and others.

This 28-track, 77+-minute anthology of prime material from Hitsville USA, 1965, is available now at the Amazon and other digital service providers!

Dance Yeah Dance – Stevie Wonder
    While the City Sleeps – The Spinners
    ‘Til 12 O’Clock – Stevie Wonder
    Goodbye Eilene – Shorty Long
    My Precious Dreams – Brenda Holloway
    Stuck-Up – Oma Heard
    Just Your Love – The Four Tops
    What Have I Done to Myself – Brenda Holloway
    Didn’t I – The Hit Pack
    Can’t Break the Habit (Alternate Version) – Martha and the Vandellas
    Funny (How Time Slips Away) – Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder
    About My Baby – Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder
    Stepping Closer to Your Heart – The Monitors
    Lucky Lucky Me – Ivy Jo Hunter
    Try a Little Tenderness – Smokey Robinson
    I Cried for You – Smokey Robinson
    I Like Everything About You (Alternate Vocal Version) – The Four Tops
    It – Little Lisa
    My Daddy Knows Best – Little Lisa
    It’s Got to Be Love – The Monitors
    Going to a Go-Go (Alternate Version) – Smokey Robinson
    For Once in My Life – Connie Haines
    Baby You Know You Ain’t Right (Alternate Slow Version) – Jr. Walker and the All Stars
    Yesterday – Chris Clark
    Determination – Ivy Jo Hunter
    I Got Heaven Right Here on Earth (Alternate Version) – The Temptations
    I Don’t Want You Anymore – Chris Clark
    Can’t Figure It Out – The Lewis Sisters

--

#9114193  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/this-is-clarence-carter-the-dynamic-clarence-carter-and-more

The next chapter in our comprehensive reissue programme of Fame recordings and the career of Clarence Carter, this 29-track CD features all of his first two albums “This Is Clarence Carter” and “The Dynamic Clarence Carter” plus five previously unreleased bonus tracks.

--

#9114195  | PERMALINK

soulpope

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/out-of-left-field-where-soul-meets-country

Hier die Möglichkeit viele der zumeist „tiefen“ Country Soul Klassiker in der jeweiligen, quasi „blue eyed“ dargebrachten Version zu hören ….

--

#9114197  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Das ist nun keine Reissue, aber ein alter Haudegen aus Muscle Shoals findet bei uns eben auch mit einer neuen Scheibe Unterschlupf in diesem Thread :teufel::

Donnie Fritts „Oh My Goodness“ (Single Lock Records) 2016 – und was für ein Coverphoto :wow: ….

--

#9114199  | PERMALINK

soulpope

Mr. Clean: Winfield Parker At Ru-Jac

Ru-Jac Records, one of the nation’s first African-American owned record labels, was formed in Baltimore in the early 1960s by Rufus Mitchell, who booked east coast entertainment venues including Carr’s Beach, a segregated summer resort near Annapolis. Ru-Jac was active through the beginning of the 1970s and featured R&B, jazz and even rock acts. One of the most soulful was Winfield Parker.

Parker cut 17 sides for Ru-Jac, the 45s on which those tracks are found have fetched top dollar on the collectors market, as people have hungered for this vintage, classic sound. When Omnivore Recordings acquired Ru-Jac in 2015, even more recordings were discovered, and those original singles, along with 6 previously unissued tracks, are finally available as Mr. Clean: Winfield Parker At Ru-Jac.

From “My Love,” to “I Love You Just The Same” to the collection’s title track—Mr. Clean presents Parker at his most soulful, along with alternate takes, demos, backing tracks and songs unheard since they were first laid down to tape over five decades ago. With mastering and restoration from Grammy®-winner Michael Graves, they also sound better than ever.

http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/mr-clean-winfield-parker-at-ru-jac/

PS von Soulpope : Winfield Parker hat eine eigenständige + tolle Stimme und das (mir schon bekannte) Material auf Ru-Jac ist vom Feinsten – unveröffentlichte Tracks sind daher wohl mehr Chance als Risiko und das ganze remastered zu hören scheint eine valide Option zu sein :teufel: ….

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 136 bis 150 (von insgesamt 211)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.