THE ETTES – Wicked Will

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Autor

midnight-mover

Written on the road and in the band’s adopted hometown of Nashville, Wicked Will encompasses everything you’ve come to expect from THE ETTES and more – up-front, fearless vocals, fuzz bass runs, primal, driving drums beats, searing guitar lines and of course, tons of black eyeliner and attitude. Female attitude. Lead singer/lyricist Coco Hames channels the best and sassiest of ’60s Girl Group vixens – the leatherette clad bad girl rockers who teased their hair and the boyz – but she and Ettes‘ co-founder Poni would definitely kick your ass themselves before waiting for their boyfriend to get back. And you better believe they’d be riding alongside the Leader of the Pack rather than in his sidecar. Or, better yet, they’d be leading their own hot Russ Meyer-esque outlaw girl bike gang/rock band.

With 13 original tracks and a sizzling, sympatico cover of Lee Hazelwood’s „My Baby Cried (All Night Long),“ this kaleidoscopic, album finds THE ETTES delivering their most confident, varied disc to date. While the intensity and guitar/bass/drum attack are constants, there are both beautiful and defiant moments, along with a newfound sense of vulnerability and knowingness in Coco’s lyrics. Says Hames, „In general, I find this to be an album largely about women, my relationships with women and my perceptions of women; my meanest songs are about myself.“

The gorgeously melancholic vocal line of „The Worst There Is,“ with its spare arrangement and Coco’s wistful lyric, „When you’re the worst there is, There’s nothing to fear,“ touches a nerve and has the feel of a lost ’60s Marianne Faithful track. Coco gets personal about what to expect in a relationship in the aggressive rocker [“You’re not going to break”] “My Heart,” singing, “You’re not faithful but you’re true,“ while asking herself if that’s enough. “The Pendulum” has a fuzz chorus to die for, with the tambourine loud and up front and the reverb cranked – it’s like discovering an amazing lost garage-rock nugget.

Nach den Parting Gifts, wieder eine neue Ettes LP. Erster Eindruck: wieder sehr gut …

--

"I know a few groovy middle-aged people, but not many." Keith Richards 1966
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #8117155  | PERMALINK

tolomoquinkolom

Tolles Album!

Aus Nashville kommen eben nicht nur jodelnde Cowboys mit lustigen Hütchen oder zwitschernde Goldlockenvögelchen, sondern auch Alternativen. Cocos, Ponis und Jems neues Album hat einmal mehr Liam Watson produziert, der so etwas unter anderem auch schon bei The Kills und The White Stripes gemacht und sogar überlebt hat. Im musikalischen Orbit von The Ettes tummeln sich gleichberechtigt Beat, Punk, Fuzz und Garage-Rock, schwirrt sympathischer Dirty-Pop nebst anderem verhextem Teufelswerk um Lindsay Coco Hames’ Stimme, die fast wie Wanda Jackson klingt, nur mit weniger Twang.

--

#8117157  | PERMALINK

j-w
      maximum rhythm & blues

Tolle Platte! Danke für den Tipp, mm!

--

Staring at a grey sky, try to paint it blue - Teenage Blue
      #8117159  | PERMALINK

genosse-schulz

tolomoquinkolom

Tolles Album!

Keine Frage.

tolomoquinkolomAus Nashville kommen eben nicht nur jodelnde Cowboys mit lustigen Hütchen oder zwitschernde Goldlockenvögelchen, sondern auch Alternativen. Cocos, Ponis und Jems neues Album hat einmal mehr Liam Watson produziert, der so etwas unter anderem auch schon bei The Kills und The White Stripes gemacht und sogar überlebt hat. Im musikalischen Orbit von The Ettes tummeln sich gleichberechtigt Beat, Punk, Fuzz und Garage-Rock, schwirrt sympathischer Dirty-Pop nebst anderem verhextem Teufelswerk um Lindsay Coco Hames’ Stimme, die fast wie Wanda Jackson klingt, nur mit weniger Twang.

Aber diese Retro-Rezi…

--

I hunt alone
    Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.