Jazz-Neuerscheinungen (Neuheiten/Neue Aufnahmen)

Startseite Foren Über Bands, Solokünstler und Genres Eine Frage des Stils Blue Note – das Jazzforum Jazz-Neuerscheinungen (Neuheiten/Neue Aufnahmen)

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 16 bis 30 (von insgesamt 1,237)
  • Autor

nail75

gypsy tail wind
    Aber Du geh jetzt heim und hör was von Lol Coxhill! :-)
    Nicht kennen? Geht’s noch?! :lol:

LOL ;-)

Echt nicht – aber der Penguin Guide kennt ihn – mal sehen, was man da auftreiben kann. Vielleicht ja die neue Platte. ;-)

--

Ohne Musik ist alles Leben ein Irrtum.
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #8051321  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

nail75LOL ;-)

Echt nicht – aber der Penguin Guide kennt ihn – mal sehen, was man da auftreiben kann. Vielleicht ja die neue Platte. ;-)

Dann wär ja mein versprühter Enthusiasmus (selbst wenn off-topic) nicht für die Katz gewesen!

Falls Du bei Reel bestellst, kannst gerne auf mich Bezug nehmen (gilt natürlich auch für andere, allerdings kennt Mike mich nicht als „gypsy“…) – gibt da ein schönes „buy 2 get 1 free“-Angebot, und dass man nicht wählen kann, was man „free“ dazu kriegt ist bei dem Katalog auch kein grosses Problem.

Nun aber zurück zu Neuerscheinungen…

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #150: Neuheiten 2023/24 – 12.3., 22:00; #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
      #8051323  | PERMALINK

monoton

Fire! with Jim O´Rourke – Unreleased?

Mats Gustafsson (The Thing) – saxophone, Fender Rhodes, electronics
      Johan Berthling (Tape) – electric bass
      Andreas Werliin (Wildbirds & Peacedrums) – drums
      Jim O´Rourke (Gastr del Sol, Sonic Youth) – electric guitar, synthesizer

Die schwedische Formation Fire! hat gerade ihr 2. Album „Unreleased?“ veröffentlicht, bei dem sie Unterstützung vom experimentierungsfreudigen Jim O´Rourke erhielt. Da mein Exemplar noch unterwegs ist, kann ich zur Qualität noch nichts sagen.

http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists/fire_/rlp-3111-fire-with-jim-o-rourke-unreleased-lp/

--

#8051325  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

Also, vorgarten, erzähl uns über die neue Boom Box CD! Der Track auf dem BFT hat ja sehr gefallen! :-)

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #150: Neuheiten 2023/24 – 12.3., 22:00; #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
      #8051327  | PERMALINK

thelonica

Dieses Jahr im Mai erschienen: „The Story Of Cathy & Me“ von Curtis Fuller.

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2011/06/curtis-fuller-story-of-cathy-me.html

--

#8051329  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

Vol. 2 von Sonny Rollins‘ Road Shows steht übrigens demnächst an. Die CD wird anscheinend vier Tracks vom Konzert, das 2010 zum 80. Geburtstag stattfand, darunter auch „Sonnymoon for Two“ mit Ornette Coleman, Christian McBride und Roy Haynes! Zudem sind zwei Stücke von Japan (auch 2010) mit der working band enthalten.

Hab selber Vol. 1 bisher nicht, die neuste, die ich besitze ist „Sonny, Please“. Das grosse Spätwerk von Rollins bleibt vorderhand für mich allerdings „This Is What I Do“ von 2000. Er war ja eigentlich immer ein Live-Künstler, erst recht seit ca. Mitte/Ende der 60er Jahre, als die lange Reihe grossartige Alben abbricht (und stattdessen eine lange Reihe guter Alben mit ein paar Ausreissern nach unten begann).

@thelonica: Die Fuller CD sieht interessant aus, danke für den Hinweis!

--

#8051331  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

Live-Stream des ganzen Rollins-Albums:
      http://www.npr.org/2011/08/28/139978299/first-listen-sonny-rollins-road-shows-vol-2#playlist

--

#8051333  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

THELONICADieses Jahr im Mai erschienen: „The Story Of Cathy & Me“ von Curtis Fuller.

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2011/06/curtis-fuller-story-of-cathy-me.html

METRO TIMES
      City Slang

The Jazzman cometh

Just another unsung international treasure from Detroit.

By Brett Callwood

Published: August 31, 2011

Whether or not you’re a jazz aficionado, there are some names that’ll almost certainly be familiar to you (unless you absolutely hate music), such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie. These are cats who stretched the boundaries of jazz, sort of like how Bob Marley did with reggae or Bob Dylan did with folk. These men are giants, and mythical to many, and Detroit trombonist Curtis Fuller played with them all.

Born to Jamaican parents who died when he was very young, Fuller was raised in Detroit orphanages. Life wasn’t so easy, and he was separated from his sister much of the time. But the 76-year-old musician doesn’t complain. He talks of his early years with fondness, with the knowledge that he is who he is because of his experiences, not in spite of them. He’s an incredibly warm gent, like a cool grandpa who tosses smoky chuckles out after sentences. He’s a compelling conversationalist who sometimes has trouble with details — well, mostly those that happened more than 50 years ago.

Music has informed Fuller’s entire life, starting with classical music and the lessons he snuck off his big sister. „The guy would come to give her lessons. What he was telling her to do, I would try to do as soon as she turned her back.“

He became fascinated with music and listened to the radio a lot, and the music in his neighborhood.

„We had so many great players in Detroit,“ Fuller says. „Just hearing those people around. Hearing that on the radio. You just got used to hearing music in the supermarket. … Hearing the sounds around Detroit, even though I was a kid, it was inevitable I’d hear somebody playing someplace around our neighborhood.

„When I saw J.J. Johnson,“ he continues, I knew that was what I wanted to do in my heart and mind.“

It wasn’t just Johnson, the Charlie Parker of the trombone, who captivated Fuller — he got a taste for all kinds of music.

„They sent us from the orphanages all over the townships to people who wanted boys to work,“ Fuller explains. „And, that way, you got a chance to see lots of music too. Music is like the plague. It’s the sound of jazz that attracted me. Rock ’n‘ roll was was rhythm and blues, and neighborhood stuff. I was in it, in Detroit. I’d play with those bands around Detroit. That’s how we all got our feet wet. You’d also play with a spiritual band in the church and stuff like that.“

Fuller was enlisted in the Army between 1953 and ’55 where he met fellow musicians Paul Chambers, and Cannonball and Nat Adderley. Naturally, they formed a band.

„It was after high school,“ he says. „It was the last few months of the Korean War and my worst nightmare at first. I was shipped overseas. It ended four or five months later. But everything [musically] fell into place. America has so many different [musical] cultures within a culture, all fused into one — European and African rhythms. As a result of that, groups formed. That’s where you get your Motown. That’s what young people did. You didn’t have the drive-by shootings or any of that. People were playing music, or they were at least trying to learn. They didn’t necessarily know how to write it or harmonize, but neither did the Beatles but, you know, you learn to function together. That’s the same story if you’re in England or Australia.“

Back home after his military stint, Fuller began playing with renowned Detroit jazz musician Yusef Lateef, and really started to hone his craft. Together with Lateef’s quintet, Fuller moved to New York City because, he says, that’s what everybody did.

When talking about New York City, Fuller remembers how it „had so many outdated laws that you couldn’t do this or that. There’s still a law that you can’t play drums in certain clubs in New York on the east side. You couldn’t use cymbals — they would ’stir people up‘ they said. That’s where the piano bars come from. That stuff’s still on the books.

„We had a chance to move [to New York], and I’m glad to have been part of the movement. It’s like being passed the baton to move for a little bit. You pass it on and pass it on. That’s the way it is.“

From there Fuller went on to play with anyone worth his jazz salt. „The giants of jazz.“ See, the man is not only a local treasure but an international one. His „up close and personal“ perspective of the genre and its players is at times mind-boggling, peppered with accomplishments that he brushes off with enviable humility.

On playing with Miles Davis, Fuller says, „I owe that to the great Yusef Lateef who was prepping me for what was to come. Jazz involved strict adherence to what was on the paper so you could all be in synch, but it also allowed freedom. It became a wonderful art form as it progressed and evolved. It went places and it’s still going places. I found Miles very private and very different. I had seen him in Detroit and he was an easy guy. He was one of the prime leaders. He was a great gift, like Dizzy and Charlie Parker, all of them I got to play with in time. I played with the giants of jazz. I’ve been fortunate, but the fortune comes from prepping yourself.“

Fuller has the most fun recalling his time performing with Dizzy Gillespie. „I did a tour with Dizzy’s small band. I was also in the big band. I did a record with him in East Germany, which somebody recently sent me a CD of, when they still had the wall up, so it was the ’80s or something like that. We travelled for six weeks or something. It was just two horns, Dizzy and myself, plus Ed Cherry on guitar, and a bass and drums. Dizzy was very political and at one point he had buttons that said ‚Vote for Dizzy for President.‘ He was like an institution … that was an epic time in my life.“

Inarguably, Fuller’s best-known recorded work is on John Coltrane’s Blue Train (which also featured his old school friend Paul Chambers on double bass). The 1957 record is one of Coltrane’s most popular, and it earned Fuller a gold record. „People start announcing how many records something has sold — a million copies or a million singles? That’s a whole different thing,“ he says. Blue Train is one of the most popular I’ve been on. I even have a gold record they sent me, but I guess everybody’s gone except me; I sit here looking around; I have no idea when the Grim Reaper’s gonna tap me on the shoulder.“

Hopefully, not for a good long time. Fuller now lives near Boston, though he’s returning home for this weekend’s Detroit Jazz Festival. He’s relishing the trip. „That’s home,“ he says. „The downside is everything has changed so much. When I do come home, I’m just there for a short time. I have fond memories of the Detroit Music Hall when the Detroit Symphony used to rehearse there. Detroit was a good breeding ground for music. Really complete because everybody from around the country used to try to get to Detroit to see and play. There was a lot of things to do then. I’m looking forward to seeing a lot of friends, and hopefully there will be some new people that have followed my career. As for the show, it will be the group that I use a lot when I play in New York. I live near Boston, so when I’m in the New York area, I use this band and they’re all good musicians. I play my repertoire, all things that I arranged and am associated with — I’ve always liked the free horn sound.“

Jazz fan or not, there aren’t many folks like Curtis Fuller around anymore. The festival set will be a treasurable experience that all Detroit music fans should embrace.

The Detroit Jazz Festival runs from Sept. 2-5. The Curtis Fuller Sextet performs Saturday, Sept. 3, on the Mack Avenue Waterfront Stage at 3:15 p.m

--

#8051335  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
      Biomasse

WILLIAM PARKER
      Crumbling in the Shadows is Fraulein Miller’s Stale Cake
      Centering
      3CD

„Crumbling In the Shadows Is Fraulein Miller’s Stale Cake is a limited edition box set comprising 3 albums of William Parker solo bass performances/compositions in full tandem with a 48-page booklet of all-new William Parker writings (poems, dreams, meditations and more). Very powerful and profound music and words, through and through. Cinematic excursions on solo bass accompanied with words that present a fully seasoned new recipe for life. The first two CDs are new works recorded in August 2010; the third CD in the set reissues Parker’s first solo bass album, Testimony, originally released in 1995 and long since out of print.“ – AUM Fidelity. Limited edition of 1000, private pressing on Parker’s own Centering label.

Erhältlich bei 50 Miles of Elbow Room und vielleicht was für unseren liebsten Vorgärtner? ;-)

--

#8051337  | PERMALINK

vorgarten

sehr verführerisch. zumal ich seine texte auch ganz toll finde.

--

#8051339  | PERMALINK

jazzfreakie

gypsy tail windNein, das Evans-Album kenn ich nicht… aber danke für den Thread.
      Ich hätte ihn gestartet, wenn ich auf einen würdigen neuen Release gestossen wäre (da ich denen aber nicht nachrenne, hätte das dauern können).

Erst einmal HALLO an alle und vor allem an Dich gypsy tail. Ich bin ganz neu hier und vor allem immer auf der Suche nach Releases die mal nicht von act, ecm, universal und den „Großen“ kommen und permanent gehypt werden. Meine neuesten Entdeckungen sind beispielsweise das Sven Bergmann Quartett mit dem Album Seasons auf Wunderbar Records. Mal keine ausgelutschten Standards und wirklich innovative Eigenkompositionen die nicht langweilig werden. Laut Presse soll Jasper van’t Hof ganz begeistert davon sein. Die Hörproben auf jpc und Weltbild haben mich dazu animiert das Teil zu kaufen. Wirklich Spitze und empfehlenswert wie ich finde. Vor allem der dreifach für den BBC Jazz Award nominierte Tom Arthurs an der Trompete ist extrem cool. Dann empfehle ich noch den jungen Italiener Mattia Cigalini und sein res nova Album auf My Favorite records. Das Album habe ich mich hier in Udine/Italien gekauft. Ein absolutes Highlight. Der junge Mann ist am Sax unglaublich innovativ und wirkt sehr befreiend. Hoffe ein wenig geholfen zu haben und finde das Forum klasse. Die Tage gibt es mehr. Grüße vom Jazzfreakie

--

#8051341  | PERMALINK

icculus66

gypsy tail windWILLIAM PARKER
      Crumbling in the Shadows is Fraulein Miller’s Stale Cake
      Centering
      3CD

„Crumbling In the Shadows Is Fraulein Miller’s Stale Cake is a limited edition box set comprising 3 albums of William Parker solo bass performances/compositions in full tandem with a 48-page booklet of all-new William Parker writings (poems, dreams, meditations and more). Very powerful and profound music and words, through and through. Cinematic excursions on solo bass accompanied with words that present a fully seasoned new recipe for life. The first two CDs are new works recorded in August 2010; the third CD in the set reissues Parker’s first solo bass album, Testimony, originally released in 1995 and long since out of print.“ – AUM Fidelity. Limited edition of 1000, private pressing on Parker’s own Centering label.

Erhältlich bei 50 Miles of Elbow Room und vielleicht was für unseren liebsten Vorgärtner? ;-)

Habe unter dem von dir angegebenen Link nichts gefunden, weder hier:
      http://www.50milesofelbowroom.com/artist/154-william-parker.html
      … noch hier:
      http://www.50milesofelbowroom.com/label/16-aum-fidelity.html

Geordert habe ich hier:
      http://www.instantjazz.com/instantjazz-cd.php?id=1780

Wer ein bisschen Zeit und Geduld hat, kann direkt bei Aum Fidelity ordern:
      http://www.aumfidelity.com/cent1005.html

--

Free Jazz doesn't seem to care about getting paid, it sounds like truth. (Henry Rollins, Jan. 2013)
      #8051343  | PERMALINK

monoton

edit: (ich hatte nur den ersten abschnitt gelesen und dachte icculus braucht hilfe bei der bestellung)

--

#8051345  | PERMALINK

icculus66

monotonedit: (ich hatte nur den ersten abschnitt gelesen und dachte icculus braucht hilfe bei der bestellung)

;-)

--

Free Jazz doesn't seem to care about getting paid, it sounds like truth. (Henry Rollins, Jan. 2013)
      #8051347  | PERMALINK

monoton

icculus66 ;-)

Wow. Für 30 stolze Euro hätte ich dann aber auch noch 6 Euro draufgelegt und die vom Meister handsignierte Version von Aum Fidelity bestellt.

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 16 bis 30 (von insgesamt 1,237)

Schlagwörter: , ,

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.