Jazz Reissues

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1,186 bis 1,200 (von insgesamt 2,150)
  • Autor

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Nachdem „Topography of the Lungs“ seit kurzem auf CD wieder vorliegt, gibt es jetzt bei OTOroku auch ein Vinyl-Reissue:
    http://otoroku.cafeoto.co.uk/products/535262-pre-order-evan-parker-derek-bailey-han-bennink-the-topography-of-the-lungs-vinyl-lp

We’re very pleased to cap off this year’s celebrations of Evan Parker’s 70th birthday with a vinyl re-issue of ‚The Topography of The Lungs‘ – Evan Parker’s first recording as a „leader“ and originally the first LP issued in 1970 by Incus, the label he founded with guitarist Derek Bailey and drummer Tony Oxley.

This re-issue has been produced from an original vinyl pressing from Evan’s archives – carefully transcribed and restored by Andreas [LUPO] Lubich at Calyx in Berlin.

Release date: 15 December 2014.

https://soundcloud.com/cafeoto/evan-parker-derek-bailey-han-bennink-topography-of-the-lungs-excerpt-rokure001

Evan Parker’s liner notes to the 2014 vinyl re-issue:

‘The Topography of the Lungs’ was the first recording I made as a „leader“ – in the somewhat antiquated terminology of the times. What this means in simple terms is that I set up the date and invited Han and Derek to participate – after that it was a matter of open interaction.

The original notes make clear my enthusiasm for the work that Derek Bailey and Han Bennink had done as a duo and it was good of them to share their discoveries with me. It was the first release on Incus, a label that I set up with Derek Bailey and Tony Oxley with financial assistance from music journalist Michael Walters. No accurate history of Incus Records has yet been written. After parting company and when the conditions of my agreement with Derek Bailey had been met, it was issued as a CD, thanks to Martin Davidson, on my label psi.

Musicians of my generation were very happy when the CD superseded the LP. I remember clearly the initial argument that CD was an elitist format… Times and attitudes have changed and the LP has made a serious return, especially in the documentation of marginal musics. OTOroku is run by and, perhaps, largely for, a new generation of listeners who have an affection for the LP format that reminds me of my youth.

I am very happy that a label associated with one of the most important music venues in London is overseeing this release.

I often travel along Dawes Road in Fulham and pass the building where the recording was made. It is on the first floor by a bus stop and was a small space with a dead acoustic, probably ideal for making low-budget rock demos, which encouraged very analytical listening.

The engineer, Bob Woolford, was not shocked by what we were doing. On the contrary he was then, and remains, one of the great engineers, along with Adam Skeaping and Michael Gerzon who enjoyed the challenges of recording alternative musics.

In the intervening forty-odd years since its first release, the idealism of the original notes has been battered almost sense-less by the Neo-Liberal (Neo-Fascist would be a more accurate term) moves to global hegemony. I take heart from the environ-mental, Occupy and anti-war movements and would encourage all younger listeners to find a way to live their lives as far as possible without interference and control by decisions made in corporate boardrooms. May the music here give you energy and fuel your imaginations.

EP (August, 2014)

Pressing Information

New transcription from an original vinyl pressing by Andreas [LUPO] Lubich at Calyx
    B&W litho printed outer and inner sleeves.
    180g high quality vinyl pressed at Record Industry in The Netherlands.

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #7625657  | PERMALINK

soulpope
    "Ever Since The World Ended, I Don`t Get Out As Much"

Das schaut IMO ziemlich verlockend aus (release date Ende Jänner 2015) :

http://toddbarkan.com/2014/10/previously-unissued-release-by-legendary-pianist-red-garland-december-1977-recordings-at-san-franciscos-keystone-korner/

Miles Davis’s first stable working band, a quintet that he formed in 1955, featured John Coltrane on tenor sax, the drummer Philly Joe Jones, and the pianist Red Garland, whose distinctive style, with bouncy chords chimed out by his interlocked hands, lent the earnest and even brooding band a sideline of warmhearted relief. Garland’s own recordings had the same bright-toned flair (as in this live 1959 recording). Garland was scarce on the scene for a decade or more, but returned in the mid-seventies, when I saw him perform, at a strange ballroom-like club on Long Island. A new release, coming January 20th, “Swingin’ on the Korner” (Elemental Music), features Garland and his trio from December, 1977, at San Francisco’s legendary Keystone Korner, home to some of the finest of all live recordings (such as Rahsaan Roland Kirk’s “Bright Moments,” a set by Mary Lou Williams, and four volumes of Woody Shaw from the late seventies). Garland is in astonishing mettle here; the space and the mood are more congenial than was the formal cavern where I saw him. What’s more, he’s accompanied by Philly Joe Jones and the bassist Leroy Vinnegar, and their chemistry is passionate. Jones, whose own career had been intermittent for almost a decade, matches Garland in inspiration and enthusiasm; the trio condenses a lifetime of wise love into a few evenings’ exuberant exertions. The performance’s modern inflections are imbued with the spirit of dance; it’s a set of inventive exuberance and jaunty joy.

--

"Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit" (K. Valentin)
    #7625659  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Hatte ich im Thread für solche Funde schon kurz erwähnt:
    http://forum.rollingstone.de/showthread.php?45437-Funde-aus-dem-Archiv&p=3331071&viewfull=1#post3331071

Sieht in der Tat verlockend aus, ja!

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba
    #7625661  | PERMALINK

clau
    Coffee Bar Cat

Von der Veröffentlichung habe ich im Jazz Messengers Newsletter gelesen. Kann man die einfach ungehört ordern, was meint ihr?

--

How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?
    #7625663  | PERMALINK

soulpope

gypsy tail windHatte ich im Thread für solche Funde schon kurz erwähnt:
    http://forum.rollingstone.de/showthread.php?45437-Funde-aus-dem-Archiv&p=3331071&viewfull=1#post3331071

Sieht in der Tat verlockend aus, ja!

Achso, die Unterscheidung ist mir entgangen :doh:………ich denke das werde ich jedenfalls hören wollen :director:

--

#7625665  | PERMALINK

soulpope

ClauVon der Veröffentlichung habe ich im Jazz Messengers Newsletter gelesen. Kann man die einfach ungehört ordern, was meint ihr?

Die Veröffentlichung wird sicher einiges an Rezensionen erhalten, aber bei der Besetzung ist es (mir) schwer vorstellbar (vorausgesetzt Du schätzt Red Garland`s Spiel), daß hier was schieflaufen kann……

--

#7625667  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Denke ich auch, ja.

--

#7625669  | PERMALINK

clau
    Coffee Bar Cat

Na, dann mal los.

--

How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?
    #7625671  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Hast Du sonst schon was von Garland? Ich würde mal nach „Groovy“ und „Red Garland’s Piano“ schauen – letztere enthält als Höhepunkt eine unglaublich sexy Version von „Please Send Me Someone to Love“.

--

#7625673  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Nachdem Jonathan Horwich vor einiger Zeit das andere Flying Dutchman-Album von Carter/Bradford neu aufgelegt hat, folgt Ace (denen der Katalog zu gehören scheint) nun mit dem zweiten – CD-only nehme ich an, wie auch bei Horwich:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S2WUEN6/

--

#7625675  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Nach den Mingus- und Coltrane- und Ray Charles-Boxen folgt auch von der grossartigen Ornette Coleman Atlantic-Box „Beauty Is a Rare Thing“ ein kostengünstiges Reissue – wie es scheint mit dem kompletten Booklet:

6-CD, Released for Coleman’s 85th birthday, this is a reconfiguration of the original Rhino boxed set which brought these legendary recordings out on CD for the first time, Beauty Is A Rare Thing is presented in a sleek, hard clamshell box, with the CDs held in elegant card sleeves and a glossy 70-page booklet

http://www.amazon.de/Beauty-Rare-Thing-Ornette-Coleman/dp/B00RC9WLAO/
    (blurb von der US-Seite, einfach „de“ mit „com“ ersetzen)

--

#7625677  | PERMALINK

thelema

Obwohl das Teil klasse aussieht: Ich hasse es, wenn sie das ursprüngliche Artwork weglassen. Die Cover mit den marktschreierischen Titeln machen immerhin einen Teil des Mythos Coleman aus. Anstelle „This Is Our Music“ mit vier sophisticated Hipstern mit Sonnenbrille hat man dann „Disc Four“ in der Hand …

--

Now, when the day goes to sleep and the full moon looks / The night is so black that the darkness cooks / Don't you come creepin' around ‒ makin' me do things I don't want to
    #7625679  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

na ja, nichtsdestotrotz vielleicht die schönste Box der Jazzgeschichte …

--

#7625681  | PERMALINK

atom

Die schönste Box der Jazzgeschichte ist in meinen Augen diese:

--

Hey man, why don't we make a tune... just playin' the melody, not play the solos...
    #7625683  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
    Biomasse

Ich meinte jetzt nicht von der Aufmachung her sondern von der Musik – die Atlantic-Alben von Ornette, bzw. die Sessions, von denen manch ein Track – in den meisten Fällen unverdientermassen – erst verspätet auf Reste-Alben erschien, bilden ein in sich geschlossenes Werk bzw. eine Werkgruppe, und es ist für mich heute noch ein riesiges Glück, mich dieser Musik eingehend zu widmen.

Was die Verpackung und das Gesamtbild betrifft (inkl. enthaltene Musik) gehört die Ayler-Box ganz gewiss zum besten, das stimmt! Meine anderen Favoriten wären wohl die Chet Baker Barclay-Box, die „Bitches Brew“ Anniversary Edition, die grosse „Jazz in Paris“-Box (jene, in der die vier 3CD-Sets komplett zu finden sind meine ich) … und natürlich einige Mosaic-Sets, ganz besonders welche, die Musik von vor der Album-Ära dokumentieren (und kommentieren). Die Jelly Roll Morton-Box wäre auch noch ein Kandidat, wobei die Beigabe eines PDFs bei einer Box in der Preisklasse schon schade ist (es gibt auch ein Booklet und einen Reprint von Lomax‘ Biographie, aber das Transkript der ganzen Sessions/Interviews gibt es eben nur als PDF). Und wenn man über den Gartenzaun guckt, natürlich die Patton-Box von Revenant.

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1,186 bis 1,200 (von insgesamt 2,150)

Schlagwörter: ,

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.