Simon Joyner

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 52)
  • Autor

mr-soul

Habe durch die Suchfunktion noch keinen Thread (kann das wirklich sein ?) über Simon Joyner entdeckt. Wie dem auch sei, es gibt gute Neuigkeiten, wie aus einem Interview mit ihm zu erfahren war: ein neues Album „Skeleton Blues“, das er wieder mit den Fallen Men aufgenommen hat, soll im November erscheinenen. Desweiteren wird er diesen Sommer auch den zweiten Teil seiner Singer-Songwriter Series aufnehmen.

Where did you go for the 4 yrs between Hotel Lives and Lost With the Lights On?
    Was that how long it was? Well, to be honest, the work was done in the same amount of time as usual. I generally record an album every year or year and a half. With Lost with the Lights On I was leaving Truckstop and the record sat in the can for a couple of years while I looked around for a label interested in releasing my records on both formats and making out of print titles available again. I wasn’t really in a rush to release the record on a label that couldn’t promote it well, so I just did other things and wrote more songs while I found a home for the record.
    Who’s helping these days band-wise and what’s on the horizon for you?
    I put an expanded version of my Omaha band the Fallen Men together to rehearse and record the new record. It’s called Skeleton Blues and will be out in November on Jagjaguwar. I’d never really worked with a band over such a long period of time before. For most of my records I was performing with people for one week or so, just to make an album and do a few shows before disbanding. I like it that way. But I decided to put a band together, developing the songs over a longer period of time, letting the songs change and grow, before recording. I played these songs with these guys for over a year’s worth of local shows before we recorded. Part of it was to see if I could maintain a band or if I really was essentially a solo performer who liked to play with different people all the time. But the other side of it was to let the songs go through a few interpretations before deciding which version to use on the record. It was a new thing for me. I’m usually completely in the moment with these songs, and happy to record them and move along.
    I’m really happy with the results. The new record is unlike anything I’ve recorded before. I have Dave Hawkins on guitar, Alex McManus on pedal steel and guitar, Mike Tulis on bass, Chris Deden on drums, and Lonnie Methe on organ and vibes. Michael Krassner flew in to produce the record and he ended up playing all the piano. Fred Lonberg-Holm did a string-arrangement for one song. It’s a nice little rock and roll band.
    Now that the record is done I don’t know what the future holds, band-wise. I was just granted a Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts residency and I’m currently working on a series of collaborations with other artists for a double LP project, with each LP side featuring a different collaboration. That will be an artist edition, not released through a label but probably available for order through my website and the distribution end of Jagjaguwar.
    I’m going to record the second installment of the singer-songwriter series 5×7″ boxset this summer and Jagjaguwar wants to put the songs from both 7″ collections on one CD sometime after it goes out of print. So that’s a project that will happen some time in the future.
    I have too much stuff in the works right now so I’ll probably have to stagger it out or risk flooding my little „market“.
    Is there a reason why the songs have become longer / slower and less folksinger like over the years?
    I never was a folksinger. I’m post-Dylan, always have been. Early in my career I was limited to a guitar and vocal approach but even so, the songs were coming from a post American folk revival tradition, as much damaged by the Minutemen as by Leadbelly. Long and slow songs are very much in the folk tradition anyway, so maybe I’m becoming more folky, not less. Much of my kid furious routine was nerves early on. A lot of the songs on Room Temperature, for example, were heavily influenced by early Loudon Wainwright III, an excitable singer-songwriter in the post Dylan mold himself. I still write shorter, faster songs too. The songs are however long they need to be. People’s attention spans keep getting shorter and shorter. What do they do with all the extra time they’re saving with their impatience? They consume some other art or entertainment in a half-assed way, in most cases. They can’t take a walk without making a call. They can’t drive a car without checking their bank balance. All this time being saved but for what? If you listen to Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and you say, „damn, that’s a long song“, than there is something wrong with you. That should be the last thing that comes to mind. It’s like going to a museum and saying, „that painting is so large.“ It’s really beside the point, isn’t it? Other people’s limitations are not interesting to me. Now if someone tells me I could say the same thing in fewer verses, more effectively, than I’ll listen. I can hear that argument.
    Is there a sound you are chasing?
    Yes, and it changes. With different records I’m chasing different sounds. You never catch it anyway. Chase is a perfect description, it’s set up to fail. It’s an unconscious thing, but intentional. Deprivation is the mother of all those interesting stories, paintings, songs, etc…. That’s why it’s much more interesting to hear a band fail to sound like the Beach Boys, but try, than it is to hear these bands that succeed in sounding like the Beach Boys. It’s the unattainable that will force people to create something new.
    Have you worked hard at having a voice/sound that conveys Authority (a la Leonard Cohen); that needs only a few words to draw the listener in? You seemed to start out with a sort of Greenwich village words-tumble-out-fast approach…
    I haven’t worked at making my voice a certain way but different songs have required different qualities from my voice at different times, depending on the subject matter, I guess. I sing em like I hear em. Not trying to be Authoritarian. Simon Joyner wants to be your lover, he doesn’t wanna to be your boss.

Quelle: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=55964398

--

"i tell all my friends that i'm bound for heaven, and if it ain't so you can't blame me for living" Thank You, Jason!
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #5240415  | PERMALINK

mogwai

Zwei sehr schöne Neuigkeiten!

--

#5240417  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

Und mal wieder eine schöne Neuigkeit: im Mai wird über Team Love THE COWARDLY TRAVELLER PAYS HIS TOLL neu aufgelegt (LP/CD), ich freue mich jetzt schon!

--

"i tell all my friends that i'm bound for heaven, and if it ain't so you can't blame me for living" Thank You, Jason!
      #5240419  | PERMALINK

candycolouredclown

Mr.SoulUnd mal wieder eine schöne Neuigkeit: im Mai wird über Team Love THE COWARDLY TRAVELLER PAYS HIS TOLL neu aufgelegt (LP/CD), ich freue mich jetzt schon!

Sehr schön!

--

Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
      #5240421  | PERMALINK

trimmtrabb

Mr.SoulUnd mal wieder eine schöne Neuigkeit: im Mai wird über Team Love THE COWARDLY TRAVELLER PAYS HIS TOLL neu aufgelegt (LP/CD), ich freue mich jetzt schon!

Ist das nicht die Platte die John Peel mal komplett gespielt hat?

--

#5240423  | PERMALINK

candycolouredclown

TrimmTrabbIst das nicht die Platte die John Peel mal komplett gespielt hat?

Genau, neben Dylans „Desire“ die einzige LP, der diese Ehre zuteil wurde.

--

#5240425  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

Meines Wissens hat John Peel „Room Temperature“ komplett gespielt…?!?

--

#5240427  | PERMALINK

candycolouredclown

Mr.SoulMeines Wissens hat John Peel „Room Temperature“ komplett gespielt…?!?

Also ich habe nur von „THE COWARDLY TRAVELLER PAYS HIS TOLL“ gehört und gelesen.
      Soll eigentlich auch noch „Iffy“ auf Vinyl wiederveröffentlicht werden?

--

#5240429  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

candycolouredclown
      Soll eigentlich auch noch „Iffy“ auf Vinyl wiederveröffentlicht werden?

Eher nicht, es wurde ja erst 2003 auf Vinyl wiederveröffentlicht.

Edit: ja, Peel spielte COWARDLY TRAVELLER, gebe mich geschlagen…

--

#5240431  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

VÖ-Datum: 6.5.08

--

#5240433  | PERMALINK

vega4

Nur mehr ein Monat….

Dazu eine Frage:
      Wird das Vinyl gleichzeitig veröffentlicht, oder gibt es wie so oft ein paar Wochen Zeitunterschied?

Freu mich auf jeden Fall darauf… :-)

--

Der Teufel ist ein Optimist, wenn er glaubt, dass er die Menschen schlechter machen kann. "Fackel" - Karl Kraus
      #5240435  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

Ja, es wird gleichzeitig veröffentlicht!

--

#5240437  | PERMALINK

vega4

Super! Danke für die Infos!

--

Der Teufel ist ein Optimist, wenn er glaubt, dass er die Menschen schlechter machen kann. "Fackel" - Karl Kraus
      #5240439  | PERMALINK

nikodemus

Wieder einer der mir entgangen ist. Dank eurer Tipps bin ich aber mittlerweile im Besitz von „Hotel Lives“, „Lost With The Lights On“ und „Skeleton Blues“. Auch wenn die Wahrscheinlichkeit groß war, dass Joyner mir gefallen würde, war ich überrascht als ich die ersten Tracks von „Hotel Lives“ gehört habe. Die ständigen Querverweise hätte ich nicht gar nicht gebraucht, um eine Ähnlichkeit insbesondere mit Cohen rauszuhören. So etwas kann natürlich Fluch und Segen sein. Joyner hat eine sehr ausdrucksstarke Stimme, die Melodien sind aber rudimentärer als bei Cohen, auch nach etlichem Hören schlichen sich die Melodien nur vorsichtig ins Ohr. Die feinen Arrangements trösten aber mehr als darüber hinweg, falls das überhaupt nötig war.

„Lost With The Lights On“ fand ich zugänglicher, auch die E-Gitarre und die Pedal Steel tun Joyners Songs gut. Auch klingt Joyner hier weniger nach Cohen, was ich auch bei „Skeleton Blues“ feststelle. Vielleicht hat sich mein Ohr auch nur an ihn gewöhnt. „Skeleton Blues“ kenne ich erst wenige Tage, gefällt mir aber sehr, sehr gut. Gerade der „Open Window Blues“ erweckt so viele Assoziationen von Dylan über die späten Sonic Youth, selbst Talk Talk kamen mir in den Sinn, wenn auch das ganz und gar Joyner war. Die Velvet Underground, die andere raushören wollen, sind mir allerdings nicht begegnet.

Je mehr ich kenne, desto mehr gefällt mir. Welche Alben sind noch Joyner must haves?

--

and now we rise and we are everywhere
      #5240441  | PERMALINK

warm-leatherette

Meine Lieblingsplatte von Joyner ist die „Lousy Dance“ gerade I will find you und Fool’s Gold On Main St. gehören zu dem besten was er je geschrieben hat.
      Immer wieder empfehlen würde ich auch die „Room Temperature“, obwohl die Platte eben doch recht anders ist als die späteren, ist halt sein Debüt.
      Das Album ist halt recht schlecht aufgenommen, wohl auf 4 oder 8-Spur, bei den meisten Songs hört man meist nur ihn und seine Akkustik Gitarre, ich finde es aber schon ziemlich fantastisch.
      Wer auf die ganzen amerikanischen Lo-Fi sachen von Anfang der 90er (Smog, Lou Barlow etc.) steht, dem wirds auf jeden Fall gefallen.

--

God spits on my soul, there's something dead inside my hole.
    Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 52)

Schlagwörter: , ,

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.