Sufjan Stevens – Illinois LP

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Sufjan Stevens – Illinois LP

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 93)
  • Autor

dock

Sufjan Stevens Reveals Details About His Illinois LP

When it comes to Sufjan Stevens‘ proposed 50 States project, incredulous smirks seem to be commonplace. Seriously, how could any one man release an album dedicated to each state in the union? That remains to be seen, but for now word is trickling in about Stevens‘ next 50 States record. Stevens‘ record label, Asthmatic Kitty, has announced that he will release an as yet untitled collection of songs about Illinois on July 5. The album isn’t quite finished, so a tracklist would be premature, but there will be one song entitled „Chicago“ and, in total, the record will feature 15 to 20 songs touching on such subjects as the Lincoln/Douglass debates, the Chicago Fire, the World’s Columbian Exposition, and Wrigley’s chewing gum. A few historical figures/characters that may end up being thrown into the blender of Stevens‘ imagination include poet Carl Sandburg, Black Hawk, Superman, and John Wayne Gacy.
    Described as Sufjan’s most ambitious record yet, the album implements more than 30 instruments and musicians, from the usual guitar and banjo to horns, string quartets, and a small choir. The album will feature several guests, such as James McAlister of Ester Drang, Shara Worden of AwRY and My Brightest Diamond, Craig Monturo of Volcano, I’m Still Excited!, and some production help from old cohort Daniel Smith of the Danielson Famile. However, the record was mostly self-produced in a Queens, N.Y. studio. Stevens will also more than likely continue his string of quality visual design by enlisting the assistance of Waking Life illustrator Divya Srinivasan.

As for the sound of the album, PR man Daniel Gill reports that, „One person I’ve talked to said, ‚It’s like the music at the Hall of Presidents at Disneyland, like really big and kind of patriotic sounding.‘ Sufjan really wanted to make it sound a little bit more polished and professional, but it’s definitely more in the vein of Michigan than anything else.“

Stevens will apparently mirror this folkish complexity by including two sets of tracklistings (which, again, we don’t have on hand): The first will be included on the back of the album, while the second will be listed on the inside and will contain track titles stretching as far as three sentences long.

After the Illinois album, Sufjan will hit the road with labelmate Liz Janes in late July. And Gill predicts the Illinois record will not be the sum of Stevens‘ recorded 2005 output, claiming that „by the end of this year“ there will „probably“ be another state album that will double as a christmas album. Seemingly relentless, Stevens is also bouncing around the idea of recording an EP for a smaller state. His PR went on to say they think the state records will continue to be produced for the indefinite future.

If all that artistic production wasn’t enough, Stevens‘ label Asthmatic Kitty has already had a fairly busy year. San Diego favorites Bunky just released their debut Born to Be a Motorcycle, while once and future Stevens‘ road warrior John Ringhofer has just released his third album under the Half-Handed Cloud moniker, entitled Thy Is a Word and Feet Need Lamps. These two outfits will be joined by labelmates the Castanets on March 19 at SXSW opening up for Ariel Pink and Daniel Johnston. Unorthodox Christians and wacky lo-fi workhorses all under one roof.

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #2698361  | PERMALINK

mr-soul

Laut Pitchfork erscheint seine neue Scheibe „Illinois“ (CD/D-LP) am 5. Juli und hat folgende beeindruckende Tracklist:

01 Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL
      02 The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You’re Going to Have to Leave Now, or, „I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them until they are off our lands!“
      03 Come on! Feel the Illinoise!
      -Part I: The World’s Columbian Exposition
      -Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream
      04 John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
      05 Jacksonville
      06 A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons
      07 Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!
      08 One Last „Woo-hoo!“ for the Pullman
      09 Chicago
      10 Casimir Pulaski Day
      11 To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and it involves shoe string, a lavender garland, and twelve strong women
      12 The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
      13 Prairie Fire That Wanders About
      14 A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
      15 The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
      16 They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!
      17 Let’s Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don’t Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
      18 In This Temple, as in the Hearts of Man, for Whom He Saved the Earth
      19 The Seer’s Tower
      20 The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
      -Part I: The Great Frontier
      -Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
      21 Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
      22 Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run

--

"i tell all my friends that i'm bound for heaven, and if it ain't so you can't blame me for living" Thank You, Jason!
      #2698363  | PERMALINK

visa

das album ist der wahnsinn.

Chicago ist der wohl beste song des jahres bisher.

--

#2698365  | PERMALINK

observer

visa
      Chicago ist der wohl beste song des jahres bisher.

Den kann man sich nun hier downloaden. Sehr schön orchestriert, der Himmel voller Geigen und Chöre.

--

Wake up! It`s t-shirt weather.
      #2698367  | PERMALINK

krautathaus

Klasse Song! Danke Observer :)

--

“It's much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why? Because it is easier to give someone the finger than a helping hand.” — Mike Royko
      #2698369  | PERMALINK

observer

KrautathausKlasse Song! Danke Observer :)

Gern geschehen! Einen weiteren Thread zu Sufjan Stevens gibt es hier.

Und ich habe noch drei weitere Stücke von der „Illinois“ gefunden:
      Casimir Pulaski Day (wieder mit wunderschönem Banjo)
      The Man Of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
      Come On, Feel the Illinoise (rythmisch verschachtelt, mit Geigen, Chören und Steve Reich ähnlichen Xylophon-Passagen. Ganz toll!)

--

#2698371  | PERMALINK

observer

So wird das Cover aussehen.

--

#2698373  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

Hach, sehr schön. Ich freu mich total, ohne die Songs gehört zu haben.

--

#2698375  | PERMALINK

Anonym
      Inaktiv

wowee zoweeHach, sehr schön. Ich freu mich total, ohne die Songs gehört zu haben.

ist vielleicht besser so, ich hab sie nämlich grade gehört…
      Nicht meine Welt.

Kommt irgendwie nie zum Ende und auf den Punkt, oder täusche ich mich?

--

#2698377  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

NiteOwlKommt irgendwie nie zum Ende und auf den Punkt, oder täusche ich mich?

Sollte er es irgenwann vorhaben, werde ich ihm persönlich auf die Finger hauen.

--

#2698379  | PERMALINK

Anonym
      Inaktiv

ok, ich habe verstanden.

(aber observer, das Xylophon ist einfachnur ein Xylophon, wie du da Steve Reich Ähnlichkeit heraushören willst, tsss…)

--

#2698381  | PERMALINK

bullitt

observerDen kann man sich nun hier downloaden. Sehr schön orchestriert, der Himmel voller Geigen und Chöre.

Oh ja, sehr schön! Danke für den Link!

Das Cover ist auch fast so gut wie das von Michigan.

--

#2698383  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

*edit*editionschaos*aaahh*

--

#2698385  | PERMALINK

wowee-zowee

(Jetzt aber richtig)

observer
      Come On, Feel the Illinoise (rythmisch verschachtelt, mit Geigen, Chören und Steve Reich ähnlichen Xylophon-Passagen. Ganz toll!)

Wow, ganz toll. Die Geigen zum Schluß sind ganz hinreissend. Sufjan ist der wahre Minimalist. Ist das im Hintergrund wieder die Danielson Familie?

--

#2698387  | PERMALINK

observer

wowee zoweeIst das im Hintergrund wieder die Danielson Familie?

Auf der Seite seiner Promotion-Agentur steht folgendes:

Stevens is joined by a string quartet, old „Michigan Militia“ friends (now „The Illinoisemakers“), drummer James McAlister (of Ester Drang), and trumpeter Craig Montoro (of Volcano, I’m Still Excited!!).

Dort kann man sich auch die neuen Promo-Fotos anschauen, die beweisen, dass Musiker nicht zwangsweise häßlich sein müssen.

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 93)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.