Paul Weller

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 14,101 bis 14,115 (von insgesamt 15,988)
  • Autor

liam1994

dennis-blandford „NOVA“ ist als Vorabtrack nicht meine Baustelle. Schöne Versatzstücke aber kein Hook, kein Groove

Ich krieg die Hook nicht mehr aus dem Ohr. Von daher wird’s schon eine geben. Ich höre das seit Tagen fast in Dauerschleife, weil ich das so gut finde. Auf „Long And Windig Road“ würde ich bei der Ballade nicht kommen. Wenn die Worte „Long“ und „Road“ nicht drin vorkämen, Du vermutlich auch nicht.

Insgesamt hat Songbird glaube ich Recht: Seit Weller keinen konservativen Rock mehr macht, ist das einfach nichts mehr für Dich.

--

Nie mehr Zweite Liga!!!
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
      Werbung
      #10135051  | PERMALINK

j-w
      maximum rhythm & blues

Auch nicht schlecht:

--

Staring at a grey sky, try to paint it blue - Teenage Blue
      #10135185  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

@liam: Die Referenzen an Sir Paul’s Evergreen bei den anfänglichen Piano-Anschlägen sind m.E. nicht zu überhören. Schön, dass zu diesem stumpfen Schlagzeugbeat von „Nova“ im Groove baden kannst. Weiter nördlich hat man einfach einen nüchterneren Anspruch den Floorboard betreffend. Wie gesagt: Licht und Schatten – so wie die ganzen letzten Jahre.

zuletzt geändert von dennis-blandford

--

"And everything I know is what I need to know and everything I do's been done before."
      #10136147  | PERMALINK

marbeck
      Keine Lust, mir etwas auszudenken

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/wh…gate-1-7897311

Now, that was entertainment… It’s not every day of the week that a bona fide legend of the British music scene performs in your home town, but that was the case when Paul Weller rocked up at Northampton’s Derngate on Sunday night.

The theatre was packed to the rafters, with the seats in the stalls ditched in favour of a standing area, and that ensured the atmosphere was electric, with the 1,000s who turned out hoping for a special night. And they got one. There was plenty of old and plenty of new as Weller, who has been at the top of his game for more than 40 years now, rattled through a 29-song set – and with a back catalogue as extensive as his, just deciding what to play must be no easy task! As it turns out, it was, for me, just about a perfect setlist.

IThere were Jam classics in Ghosts, Start! and a fantastic Man In The Cornershop. There were Style Council gems in My Ever Changing Moods and Have You Ever Had It Blue, and songs plucked from various stages of his 25-year career as a solo artist, from his debut single Into Tomorrow, right through to tracks from his forthcoming album A Kind Revolution, which is released in May. Those new songs were getting some of their first airings in public, but they went down well, and certainly whetted the appetite for the new LP. The picks for me were what already sounds like a classic Weller ballad in Long Long Road, the funk soul workout of She Moves With The Fayre and rocking Woo Se Mama.

Weller, looking sharp as always, was in great form throughout, with his voice perhaps sounding better than ever as he approaches his 59th birthday, and his band were pretty much perfect, at one point seamlessly running through an impromptu You Do Something To Me when a technical issue threatened to throw a spanner in the works. “We’re having a bit of a problem, so we’ll just play you something else,” said Weller, and it was a treat. Northampton lads Andy Crofts (bass) and Ben Gordelier (percussion) must have enjoyed their special homecoming, and along with fellow Moons bandmate Thomas Van Heel (keyboards), Steve Pilgrim (drums) and the always fantastic Steve Cradock (guitar) they nailed every number. Other highlights for me were the wonderful Going My Way from Weller’s 2015 album Saturns Pattern, a rollicking Peacock Suit, and a sumptuous Above The Clouds.

Now, that was entertainment… It’s not every day of the week that a bona fide legend of the British music scene performs in your home town, but that was the case when Paul Weller rocked up at Northampton’s Derngate on Sunday night. The theatre was packed to the rafters, with the seats in the stalls ditched in favour of a standing area, and that ensured the atmosphere was electric, with the 1,000s who turned out hoping for a special night. And they got one. There was plenty of old and plenty of new as Weller, who has been at the top of his game for more than 40 years now, rattled through a 29-song set – and with a back catalogue as extensive as his, just deciding what to play must be no easy task! As it turns out, it was, for me, just about a perfect setlist. There were Jam classics in Ghosts, Start! and a fantastic Man In The Cornershop. There were Style Council gems in My Ever Changing Moods and Have You Ever Had It Blue, and songs plucked from various stages of his 25-year career as a solo artist, from his debut single Into Tomorrow, right through to tracks from his forthcoming album A Kind Revolution, which is released in May. Those new songs were getting some of their first airings in public, but they went down well, and certainly whetted the appetite for the new LP. The picks for me were what already sounds like a classic Weller ballad in Long Long Road, the funk soul workout of She Moves With The Fayre and rocking Woo Se Mama. Weller, looking sharp as always, was in great form throughout, with his voice perhaps sounding better than ever as he approaches his 59th birthday, and his band were pretty much perfect, at one point seamlessly running through an impromptu You Do Something To Me when a technical issue threatened to throw a spanner in the works. “We’re having a bit of a problem, so we’ll just play you something else,” said Weller, and it was a treat. Northampton lads Andy Crofts (bass) and Ben Gordelier (percussion) must have enjoyed their special homecoming, and along with fellow Moons bandmate Thomas Van Heel (keyboards), Steve Pilgrim (drums) and the always fantastic Steve Cradock (guitar) they nailed every number. Other highlights for me were the wonderful Going My Way from Weller’s 2015 album Saturns Pattern, a rollicking Peacock Suit, and a sumptuous Above The Clouds.

The two-hour show ensured the punters more than got their money’s worth, with the main 21-song show followed by two encores. The first was a five-song acoustic set, including the classic Wild Wood and a beautiful reworking of The Jam’s Monday, before the band returned again with a three-track full electric blast. The moody These City Streets was followed, much to everybody’s delight, by Start! and a rollicking The Changingman to end the show, with the band exiting the stage to a rousing ovation. It was a great way to end a great night, in the presence of a great artist, and a chatty Weller certainly seemed to enjoy himself. Early in the show he admitted he couldn’t remember if he had played the Derngate before (he hadn’t) and then towards the end he announced ‘I like it here, I think I’ll come back’. Please do, Paul, please do – you will be very, very welcome!

Setlist:
      White Sky,
      Long Time,
      I’m Where I Should Be,
      Ghosts,
      Ever Changing Moods,
      Saturns Pattern,
      Going My Way,
      You Do Something To Me,
      Woo Se Mama,
      Man In The Cornershop,
      The Attic,
      Have You Every Had It Blue,
      She Moves With The Fayre,
      Friday Street,
      Above The Clouds,
      Into Tomorrow,
      Long Long Road,
      The Cranes Are Back,
      Peacock Suit,
      I Walk On Gilded Splinters,
      Come On/Let’s Go.

Encore 1:
      Wild Wood,
      Monday,
      Love,
      Devotion,
      Out Of The Sinking

Encore 2:
      These City Streets,
      Start!,
      The Changingman

--

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best --- Dienstags und donnerstags, ab 20 Uhr, samstags ab 20.30 Uhr: Radio StoneFM
      #10136311  | PERMALINK

j-w
      maximum rhythm & blues

So, jetzt auch noch mal mein Senf zu den beiden neuen Songs:
      Ich mag sie beide. Long long road ist sicher sehr viel konventioneller und für Weller eine sichere, aber trotzdem tolle Nummer. Nova ist da sperriger, aber so melodielos wie Dennis finde ich die Nummer nicht. Ich mag den Chorus nicht so gern, die Spannung, die von Strophe und Bridge aufgebaut wird, geht dann doch in eine Bluesrock-Sequenz über und da hätte ich mir etwas Interessanteres gewünscht. An der richtigen Stelle auf dem Album und im Liveset kann das aber bestimmt ein stimmiger Track sein.

Hier übrigens sehr schöne Eindrücke aus der RAH: (Der Mann ist top in Form)

--

#10136321  | PERMALINK

j-w
      maximum rhythm & blues

Ich meine, das hatten wir hier schon mal verlinkt, aber dieser feine Mitschnitt aus Toronto macht auch schon wieder Lust auf die kommende Tour:

--

#10137029  | PERMALINK

midnight-mover

Warum kommt er eigentlich nicht endlich mal wieder von diesem furchtbaren Gitarrengurt weg?

--

"I know a few groovy middle-aged people, but not many." Keith Richards 1966
      #10138023  | PERMALINK

marbeck

No. 8

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jams-paul-weller-become-dad-10156411#ICID=sharebar_twitter

--

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best --- Dienstags und donnerstags, ab 20 Uhr, samstags ab 20.30 Uhr: Radio StoneFM
      #10138155  | PERMALINK

k-o-r-r

dennis-blandford„Nova“ klingt nach Bowie 74 und 77, Kraut und etwas Stones aber wo ist der Song? Ein Nachhall auf das bemüht Aufgekratzte von WUTN, für mich. Sorry Mates! „Long and winding Road“ ist für die Edelwellerfans der Seelentröster denn man dringenst benötigt. Sehr gut. Die besten Wellermomente findet man im Moment sowieso bei The Stone Foundation

So sehe ich das auch – mehr Soul, Funk und Acoustic und dafür weniger Geplärre, dann wird das wieder etwas….

--

#10139351  | PERMALINK

marbeck

Next Sunday, April 9th, Absolute Radio will be broadcasting exclusive Weller live tracks from recent Teenage Cancer Trust at Royal Albert Hall.

It’ll be on „The Sunday Night Music Club“ that begins at 8pm (GMT). https://absoluteradio.co.uk/schedule…pisodes/74795/

--

#10139589  | PERMALINK

Anonym
      Inaktiv

k-o-r-r

dennis-blandford„Nova“ klingt nach Bowie 74 und 77, Kraut und etwas Stones aber wo ist der Song? Ein Nachhall auf das bemüht Aufgekratzte von WUTN, für mich. Sorry Mates! „Long and winding Road“ ist für die Edelwellerfans der Seelentröster denn man dringenst benötigt. Sehr gut. Die besten Wellermomente findet man im Moment sowieso bei The Stone Foundation

So sehe ich das auch – mehr Soul, Funk und Acoustic und dafür weniger Geplärre, dann wird das wieder etwas….

Du bist der Typ mit Ed Sheeran, oder?

--

#10139785  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

Manche gehen halt auf WUTN Outtakes steil. So unterschiedlich sind die Leute.

--

"And everything I know is what I need to know and everything I do's been done before."
      #10139797  | PERMALINK

Anonym
      Inaktiv

Ach Dennis, lass es doch mit Weller . Das ist doch Blödsinn, den du verzapfst.

--

#10139803  | PERMALINK

dennis-blandford
      Jaggerized

I am not a modernist, not always looking forward, man!

„Nova“ ist schwächer als „Brushed“.  Mir bleibt die Erinnerung an die alten Wellerscheiben

und immer noch gute Konzerte. Alleine der aktuelle Look mit den hell ausgewaschenen Jeans und

schwarzem Rundhals Zecken T-Shirt?!

--

#10140015  | PERMALINK

liam1994

Hm. Das Outfit war schon mal besser, aber auch schon mal schlimmer. Aber mit der Musik hat das m.E. wenig zu tun. Brushed? Das muss ein Witz sein. Das ist eine der miesesten Weller-Singles überhaupt. Wenn wir über Stücke ohne Melodie und Hooks sprechen, ist das ein Paradebeispiel.

The Jam kannst Du auch nicht leiden, oder? ;-)

--

Nie mehr Zweite Liga!!!
    Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 14,101 bis 14,115 (von insgesamt 15,988)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.